Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 217: Its the Most Wonderful Time for a Senior Discount!

View of a very slow snowy commute on SE 82nd and Holgate from my cozy table at Starbucks

Snow changes our reality in Portland. Pretty much shuts everything down.  Last week we had two snow days. Understandably because of the ice.

But this time, it seemed the schools were reluctant to close. 

The weather forecast warned of a snow storm coming in today.  It was certainly cold enough this morning.  The weather forecasters estimated we would see snow by about 1 p.m.

Some school districts responded by ordering early release.  But Portland Public Schools were business as usual. Which meant I needed to be at the grade school by 1:00 for their "Habitat" musical rehearsal.

I figured it would be a light dusting. And I really wanted to get to the gym. So I put on yoga pants, and a tee shirt, covered by some water proof pants (ḿy daughter calls them my "MC Hammer" pants), a sweater, two pairs of socks, my winter coat, gloves, my rainboots and a scarf.  I packed up my sneakers.

Then, before I left, I felt a stirring inside my soul.  I felt like bringing my bible, my prayer journal and some inspirational books to read. My plan was to go to rehearsal, then stop at Starbucks and spend some time in prayer and bible study.  It made my heart leap with joy.

After my incredible musical experience last night, which was honestly quite spiritual, I suddenly am feeling a strong pull towards God and an increase in faith.

I spied a little book in my collection, called The Lords Prayer by William Barclay.

I put that, my bible, and my prayer journal in my bag and set out. After all, my borderline panic attack was quelled by me repeating the Lords Prayer many many times yesterday (along with the Jesus Prayer and the Hail Mary). My Catholic training has paid off!

So I set off. And it was bitter cold.  I wished I had dressed warmer.  Luckily I did not have long to wait at the bus stop. As we pulled up near the school, the first snowflakes began to fall.

The rehearsal was so adorable. The kids were all in costume.  I am not sure if they will be able to perform tomorrow.  It depends on what the weather does overnight.

After rehearsal I headed out to the bus top. In what felt like a blizzard. I was grossly underdressed. And a bit alarmed. If I had much of a wait at the bus stop, I felt I might get hypothermia!

Luckily, the bus pulled up shortly after I got to the stop. In extreme weather, one does appreciate comforts. Like a warm bus.

I spent a good hour at Starbucks, sipping tea and gazing out the window at a winter wonderland.  It was truly beautiful. I read my books, prayed and did a bit of bible study.




I was beginning to get hungry. So I headed out. My intention was to stop at the store and stock up in case we were snowbound and get a bowl of steamy pho.

So I hiked through the snow across the street to the bus stop on 82nd. Traffic was bumper to bumper, moving at a snails pace.  I got to the bus stop, fighting the wind and snow.  I texted the "Transit Tracker". It will respond with the exact arrival time of the bus. But for the first time, since I have been using the tracker, it responded, saying my bus was "4.2 miles away".

Well, looking at the cars moving along at a whopping 1 mile per hour at the most, I had a feeling I would have frostbite before the bus arrived!

Luckily, at SE 82nd and Holgate, there are many resturants within walking distance. So I trudged against the wind two blocks to IHOP.

They are kind of spendy, but they were close and warm! The restaurant was empty except for a nervous manager, server, cook and one other customer.

I sat down and studied the menu. Then a brilliant thought occured to me! Today would be the day that my age would serve me well. I am going to be 5 next month. IHOP has a lovely 55 and older menu.

I had tilapia, spinach, mashed potatoes, garlic bread and tea for $8.00!

Senior Special at IHOP!


And a nice conversation with the nervous manager. It turns out he lives in Salem, and was worried about his commute home.

After dinner, I just had another 2 block walk in the blizzard to Fred Meyer. As I set out walking, I noticed a man pushing a large truck with his wife at the wheel. He managed to push it off of 82nd to the side street in front of me, but could not get it any further. I rushed to his assistance. Pushed with all my might. It did not budge. He laughed at me good naturedly.  I told him I tried! Just then a group of teenage boys, of the thug type....hoodies, saggy jeans, cigarettes, came by and said, "Wait, lady! Let us help!"

And with the help of the Good Samaratin disguised as thugs, we got the truck off to the side of the road.

It never fails to warm my heart to see the kindness of humanity in times of trial.

I managed to make it home safely.  Six hours after I left school. Granted, I did stop for coffee. And dinner. But six hours after only one hour of work!

Hot cocoa and marshmallows never tasted so god.


I just heard on the news the Portland Public Schools is cosed tomorrow.

Our musical will be rescheduled. I get a day of rest!

I also heard on the news that some middle school students and teacher in North Clackamas are still stuck at school!

If we are going to have snow in our future, perhaps our cities nead to be better equipped?

But now, I am going to hunker down with a few episodes of "Reign" my new binge watch series.

Happy Wednesday!

Stay safe and warm!

Sign I spotted last week in front of the Double Mountain Taproom on Woodstock. Seemed appropriate today!



http://www.doublemountainbrewery.com/taproom/woodstock-taproom/ 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist