Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick.

I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy.

It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know!

Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman.

My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work.

My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!).

I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music.

But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointers. Sometimes I play for them.

And today the dad of one of my students had his lesson. Or should I say we had a jam session. This is the dad with the amazing resonant voice. Who has hired me to read through songs in "The Real Book".  Today we did "Round Midnight" again. I had practiced a bit.  And it felt really groovy! We read through a couple other tunes, including "Good-bye Pork Pie Hat" by Charles Mingus. This one I really like!

This week I plan on doing some listening. I cannot believe I am about to say this outloud, or shall I say, type this. But I just thought it in my very brain:

I think I have developed a taste for Jazz!

At last!

And it is all because of my student's dad. And his big booming voice and easy going attitude. I am finally feeling bold enough to tackle this intimidating musical style.

He is a solid singer. Very confident. So I am free to kind of ding around on the piano, figuring out chord voices and putting in a few licks now and then. I am like a fish out of water with this style of playing. I have read music since I was three, so this is HUGE for me.

And I had a blast!

The rest of my lessons tonight were very enjoyable too. Perhaps it is a good thing we have experienced this dismal weather. Because I am really starting to value the connections I have with other people.  And we are rising above the weather.

Tomorrow the ladies' craft group is having a potato lunch in honor of St. Patrick's Day. And I have been invited. I asked if I could bring anything. I was told, "Only a smile".

Well, I can definitely do that!

And I think I will end with a smile tonight.

Perhaps it will chase the gloom away!

Happy Wednesday!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Zita :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...