Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 233: Faith = Freedom



It seems my tradition is becoming to have a tooth filled for the New Year!

I just had a tiny cavity in my back molar. But it is a relief to have it taken care of.  You can tell by my goofy, lopsided grin I am relieved, but my face is still numb from the novacaine.

I have a good feeling about 2017. I am ending 2016 taking care of all my health issues: Physical therapy for my low back injury, my bronchitis has nearly run it's course and my tooth is filled. Bring on the New Year!

I stopped by the library near my dentist to blog a bit, return the "Rein" DVD's I was watching...I almost finished Season 1, but another library patron is waiting. So I will take a break from Rein.  I do tend to get too obsessed.  Need to get back to the real world.  Winter term begins next week!

I am taking an online course in Medical Terminology. I am actually really enjoying it. I am an odd duck. I have always loved taking tests!  My goal is to sharpen my medical terminology skills and find a part time medical transcription job to bring in a steady cash flow to hold me over in between teaching terms.

That is Plan A. Plan B would be to find a church pianist job.

I was thinking while I was in the dentist chair.  Trying to keep my mind off the whiring drill.  First I was singing "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" in my head.  Then I started thinking about fear and faith.  So I said a prayer. And it came to me that faith in God brings freedom.  I Googled that and found this scripture:

 

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." Galatians 5:1

I experienced this freedom late last night. I was so tired. I fell asleep almost the instant my head hit the pillow, but then popped up in the wee hours of the morning filled with anxiety. Mostly worried about my son.  Worried, fretted. And finally prayed.  Just kept breathing in and out and praying.  Ending up reciting the Jesus Prayer over and over: "Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner." I would breathe in and out to the rhythm of the words.

And finally a deep peace descended on me. And I knew that I needed to give all of my worries to God.  I told Him I trusted Him and was going to sleep. I was confident He could handle it all.  And I slept like a baby!

Again, as I sat in the dental chair, I turned to Him.  And I felt like a weight lifted from my chest. 

There is freedom in faith.  I need to remember this!

As far as the New Year goes, I am excited about my additions.  But I need to add two more:

1.  More Faith
2. More Time.

I plan on gaining more time, by increasing my faith. Which in turn will set me free from my worries and troubles. Which should give me more time to enjoy my life and serve my purpose here in this earthly realm!

Happy Friday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist