Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 233: Faith = Freedom

It seems my tradition is becoming to have a tooth filled for the New Year!

I just had a tiny cavity in my back molar. But it is a relief to have it taken care of.  You can tell by my goofy, lopsided grin I am relieved, but my face is still numb from the novacaine.

I have a good feeling about 2017. I am ending 2016 taking care of all my health issues: Physical therapy for my low back injury, my bronchitis has nearly run it's course and my tooth is filled. Bring on the New Year!

I stopped by the library near my dentist to blog a bit, return the "Rein" DVD's I was watching...I almost finished Season 1, but another library patron is waiting. So I will take a break from Rein.  I do tend to get too obsessed.  Need to get back to the real world.  Winter term begins next week!

I am taking an online course in Medical Terminology. I am actually really enjoying it. I am an odd duck. I have always loved taking tests!  My goal is to sharpen my medical terminology skills and find a part time medical transcription job to bring in a steady cash flow to hold me over in between teaching terms.

That is Plan A. Plan B would be to find a church pianist job.

I was thinking while I was in the dentist chair.  Trying to keep my mind off the whiring drill.  First I was singing "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" in my head.  Then I started thinking about fear and faith.  So I said a prayer. And it came to me that faith in God brings freedom.  I Googled that and found this scripture:


"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." Galatians 5:1

I experienced this freedom late last night. I was so tired. I fell asleep almost the instant my head hit the pillow, but then popped up in the wee hours of the morning filled with anxiety. Mostly worried about my son.  Worried, fretted. And finally prayed.  Just kept breathing in and out and praying.  Ending up reciting the Jesus Prayer over and over: "Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner." I would breathe in and out to the rhythm of the words.

And finally a deep peace descended on me. And I knew that I needed to give all of my worries to God.  I told Him I trusted Him and was going to sleep. I was confident He could handle it all.  And I slept like a baby!

Again, as I sat in the dental chair, I turned to Him.  And I felt like a weight lifted from my chest. 

There is freedom in faith.  I need to remember this!

As far as the New Year goes, I am excited about my additions.  But I need to add two more:

1.  More Faith
2. More Time.

I plan on gaining more time, by increasing my faith. Which in turn will set me free from my worries and troubles. Which should give me more time to enjoy my life and serve my purpose here in this earthly realm!

Happy Friday!


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 134: The Charmed Life of a Commuting Grandma

I just discovered that the Starbucks at Cascades Station stays open until 10:00 p.m. every night.

Just when I was wanting to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Being a commuting grandma really is not that difficult. Actually, my life pretty much rocks right now!

Today has been a very good day. And I had maybe 3 hours of solid sleep last night. The Burrito has decided she likes to sleep cuddled in the arms of her Great Grandma Blanche or Grandma Zita during the day. Or snuggled safe in her infant seat while her mom, grandma and great grandma go out to lunch, do laundry and go shopping.

I warned my daughter that the
Baby Burrito needed some awake time yesterday. Or else we would pay for it in the evening. But getting so much done with a snoozing baby in tow was so freeing. Especially since Baby Burrito's dad is elk hunting all weekend.

We finally roused her for a bath, diaper change and piano lesson early afternoon.

Baby Burrito had a fantastic first piano lesson. At…

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…