Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 11: Power Naps and a Chocolate Bar....

What do these two things have in common?

Absolutely nothing! But, the combination has lifted me out of the pit!

 Not completely out, my fingers are holding onto the edge, but I can see daylight, I can smell fresh air! Unfortunately that is all. I still have not regained my sense of smell.

I told my nurse practitioner that this morning at my appointment.  I don't know what I was thinking making an appointment for 9:00 a.m. I practically passed out on the Max train ride.

But it was good for her to witness my fatigue.

We talked about the results of my blood work. Apparently I have small veins. Her medical assistant told me that as she prodded and tried to find a vein big enough to fill several small vials. She kept make "tsk tsk" noises and telling me she didn't know if it would be enough.

Apparently it wasn't. I have to go next week to the lab after an evening of fasting and have more blood drawn.

The results that she had were negative for thyroid issues. My vitamin D level was normal.  But my eosinophils were elevated.


https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/eosinophilia/basics/definition/sym-20050752

That means I am allergic to something. What I am allergic to is unknown at this point.

But it does explain  my wheezing. She listened to my chest. I was wheezing more than usual this morning. The cough returned last night.

We talked about my sleep. I told her a bit about my life. I also told her I had rescheduled my sleep consultation because I was busy rehearsing for a big performance that took place a few days ago.

I told her that when I have a day that I do not have to be anywhere in the  morning, I will go back to bed and catch up on my sleep.  Then I feel better.

She looked at me and said, "You need to take naps".

As simple as that.

So I heeded her orders. Went back home and took a 45 minute nap. Got up and took a hot shower. Did a hoop session. Then I went to WalMart and picked up my prescription. Another round of Prednisone.

But I feel oodles better after my nap!  My prescription was not ready when I arrived. I told her I as having trouble breathing. I told her that I had students in 45 minutes. She put a rush on it. I bought a Hershey's chocolate bar. Then went back and picked up my Prednisone, stopped at Starbucks for a Pineapple Black Iced Tea, unsweetened.

And I sat at the bus stop thinking.

How I need to take more naps and enjoy chocolate now and then.  I felt perfectly content at that moment!


On that note, I will talk to you later. (I fell asleep before posting this last night; talk later today!)

Love,

Zita

PS. Here is yesterday's hooping video. Day 327!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i