Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 4: Manic Thursday

Help! Something is wrong!
I feel too good!

I want to break into song and dance on this here Tri-Met bus.

I'm thinking James Brown, "Yow! I feel good, (doodle doodle doodle do), I knew that I would  (doodle doodle doodle do)..."

And you know why?

Well that's the puzzling part.

I don't know why.

James Brown knew. It was "...'coz I got you! (Doot doot doot do!)

I'm always analyzing.  Trying to find answers.  Maybe I should have been a detective. Solving the crime that is me.

I have not had coffee in two days. I did have a cup of black tea this morning.

I took my blood pressure and pulse at home.  Good stats.



I've been trying home remedies to restore my sense of smell. No luck yet.  I've been using saline nose spray, doing breathing exercises, drinking tons of water.  I even tried a teaspoon of honey sprinkled with cinnamon on my tongue.

Every chance I get, I am sniffing things. Especially things I know have strong odors. Like eucaplytus oil, Vicks Vapor Rub and Tiger Balm. The interesting thing is that I get a burning sensation in my nostrils, but no scent whatsoever.

I sniff flowers, perfume spray, hand soap, garlic.  Nothing.

It's eerie. But in a way a bit liberating. Without smell, I have less of an appetite.  I still have my sense of taste, but it is a bit subdued.

I did some research online.

I discovered much written about this subject, that I have never given much thought to. Years ago, I met a man who was born without a sense of smell. He didn't know what he was missing, and didn't seem troubled.  I remember contemplating what that would be like. I was convinced he didn't enjoy his food as much.

But our sense of smell serves more of a purpose than just enhancing our eating experience. Our nose can smell danger. Like a fire!  Or food that is going bad.

I have a feeling I would sense smoke; considering the burning nostril sensation I had when I smelled Tiger Balm.

The loss of the sense of smell is called "anosmia".  It can be temporary or permanent. It can be simply a response to a cold, or sinus infection. Or it could signal a more serious medical condition. Like a brain tumor.

The weird thing is that several months ago I constantly smelled burning oil. I'm not sure if I blogged about it. It was so strange.  I told my nurse practitioner at my last visit. She just stared at me.

Now, I find there is a disorder called "phantosmia", which is smelling an odor that is not really there. It is in fact an "olfactory hallucination" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantosmia)

Phantosmia can be caused by a brain tumor (http://scarysymptoms.com/2017/02/brain-tumor-can-cause-smelling-something-bad-thats-not/).

And what about this super good mood I find myself in today? I love it! I feel like I am floating. I do not hurt. I am not anxious or depressed. Am I on the upside of my bipolar disorder (never officially diagnosed, but all my loved ones nod knowingly when I ask if they think I am bipolor...lol)


Brain tumors apparently can be the cause of depression (https://psychcentral.com/news/2016/06/28/brain-tumors-may-present-as-depressive-symptoms/105440.html)

Brain tumors can also be the cause of mania (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4009161).

Not to be a hyperchondriac or anything, but all signs are pointing to brain tumor.

So I made an appointment with my nurse practitioner next week. I imagine she will give me "that look", but it's worth a shot.

I am determined to get to the bottom of myself!

While for now, I am floating above myself!

Sorry for the weird post. You have now experienced Manic Me!

Happy Manic Thursday!

I wonder who I'll be tomorrow?

See you then!

Love,

Zita


P.S. Here is today's hooping video. I didn't start out feeling so great. Was very tired this morning.  Maybe it was the low sodium vegetable juice I drank?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist