Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 356: Bus Talk and Precious Moments

Another day of feeling human! I slept quite deeply last night.  Woke up bright and early, but not early enough to hoop.  I may have to skip my hoop workout today.

I got packed and ran out to catch the bus. I was almost at the bus stop, when I saw the #34 appear on the top of the hill. I was hoping it would stop at the stop before mine, so as to give me enough time to jog to my stop.

No such luck. It was quickly approaching. So I turned around and wave frantically.  The driver, one of my regular drivers, pointed to the sidewalk near the bus stop.  He pulled over and stopped.

"Thank you for stopping", I panted. I was quite out of breath. But at least I was not wheezing or coughing!

"You're welcome", he said. "I was pointing to the curb because it is not safe for me to stop in the middle of the road".

"At least you stopped!" I said smiling.

"Yes, I could have just waved and kept driving", he smiled back. 

"But I'm sure you would have at least smiled!" I said in reply.

We both chuckled.

Then we started talking about how we have trouble sleeping. He told me he is 54 years old. He has been an early riser his whole life, but the last several years it has been increasingly difficult to get out of bed.

"I don't have the motivation I used to", he said.

"I don't have the energy I used to", said I.

It was nice to talk with a kindred spirit.  Soon the passengers on either side of me were chatting about sleep. I mentioned that I have a new system. Instead of checking email, watching, television and playing Words with Friends at night (simultaneously, I might add!), I unplug.  Then I use Words with Friends as a way to wake my brain up in the morning.

The driver said he too used online games to wake his mind up!

Somehow we got on the subject of unkind people. The young woman to my left confided that she was on her way to work at a large chain store. And she was so tired, not in the mood for "rude" customers.

She shared some stories with us.  The man on my right shook his head.

We shared a look.

"Life is so short", I said.  "There is no time for unkindness!"

Soon our bus talk came to an end as we reached the end of the line. The man on my right was heading to the elevator. We stood and talked some more.  He was leaning on a cane. The elevator never arrived. So we chatted as we hobbled up the stairs.

"I have bad knees", he said sheepishly.

"I'm just sore!", said I, readjusting my pack.

We reached the Max and he wished me a pleasant day.

I sat down and looked out the window. It was overcast, but mild.

I silently thanked God for these little pleasant encounters.  And I opened up Words with Friends to keep me company on my long bus ride to Vancouver to watch my grandbaby.

She brings me such joy. And the people who tell us to treasure these moments, because in the blink of an eye, she will be grown up, are right. She will be 8 months old tomorrow.

She is communicating, interacting, observing the world and changing every moment.

I am so thankful that I am part of this little girl's life.

I may not have time to blog any more today.  After my visit with Gracie, I have to bus it back to Portland and teach piano classes.

It is so good to feel my health improve. To feel awake. Because I do not want to miss a moment of this life!


Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita






P.S. No hoop video today. Will post one tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i