Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 13: An Abrasion on My Soul

"The beginning of love is the will to let those we love be perfectly themselves, the resolution not to twist them to fit our own image. If in loving them we do not love what they are, but only their potential likeness to ourselves, then we do not love them: we only love the reflection of ourselves we find in them." ~Thomas Merton, No Man Is an Island




I am so happy to back back in posting mode.  Not only have I been mourning my uncle's passing and comforting my mother, but I also scratched my cornea

No big adventure story here. My allergies have been running rampant this spring. I had a particularly itchy-eyed night, and awoke to find myself vigorously rubbing my right eyeball.  It felt like there was grit in it. Upon awakening, I ran to the bathroom and splashed cold water on my face.

Too late. Damage done.  That was Friday night.

My Zombie eye Saturday.

Saturday morning, one of my sweet piano students looked up at me and gasped, "What happened to your eye, Teacher Zita? It looks scary!"

I imagine I resembled a zombie. I told her about my allergies and rubbing my eye too hard. She nodded, but still looked concerned.

It wasn't too painful and I could see just fine, but it was just a tad embarrassing.

But something I discovered, as I nearly always do, is that something good came out of this!

I stopped wearing eye makeup. I am just putting on bit of lipstick and a touch of eyebrow pencil. And I absolutely love my natural look!

Why did I waste all that money and time on makeup?

Aw, the wisdom of age.


Scratched right cornea Tuesday (healing), no make-up look.

I've been thinking a lot about love lately.  I remember looking at my mother and father over lunch Sunday, as we talked about memories of my mother and her brother.  My parents had a rocky time early in their marriage. I remember much screaming. But there they were, after 57 years of marriage, sitting opposite my daughter and I. Smiling. 

My mother has been caring for my father since his stroke and diagnosis of Parkinson's disease a few years ago. She is a retired RN. Very capable of caring for others. She has been the mistbstelkar caregiver for my dad. He has become entirely dependent on her. And in turn, he has become kinder and gentler. Not only to her, but to everyone.

And he has openly proclaimed how much he appreciates and needs her.

This warmed my heart.

Forgiveness. What a burden it lifts!

The other day I spent time with my son and his girlfriend. They are going through the pain of young love.  I told them that love can hurt. I told them about my parents.  But their experience raw and fresh.  And so very present to them now. I think that the lessons of love and loss can only be learned by first hand experience.


My very soul feels raw. It feels ragged and scratched. Like my cornea. I know it will heal, but I imagine there will be a scar.

There will be more than one abrasion on my soul.

I try not to focus on the could have beens.  The what is. The regrets. The hurts. 

I bring my consciousness to gratitude. To family, babies, birds singing outside my window, music, prayer, the sound of children playing in the playground next door. I wish I could say the smell of freshly baked bread, but I have lost my sense of smell.

Interesting, that I can recall the smell of freshly baked bread. My grandmother baked bread early every morning. I can remember the heavenly fragrance. It is making my stomach growl. I wonder if my uncle is eating bread in heaven with his mother now.

There is healing. There always is. If we allow it.

I rented a comfort movie to watch last night.  "Under the Tuscan Sun".  Such a lovely movie. And so heartwrenching at times.  But it does help to know other's feel our pain.

And in the end, we do have our memories.

I just need to learn to be still long enough to let them in.

I need to end this blog and go teach. As usual, I have much  more to say, but it will have to wait.

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita

PS Here is my latest hooping video! Quite a short one, as I was running late. I almost forgot, hence the leather jacket - that was a challenge!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i