Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 357: Walking with the Magnificat

Back in the hoop today!  It felt so good. And I slept like a log again last night!  I am still drinking about 2 liters of water a day.  And unplugging at night.

I am finishing up a course of antibiotics. My nurse practitioner is determined to break this cough/asthma cycle.  

It feels so wonderful to breathe deeply.

It also feels wonderful to be conscious the whole day!  

I had an interesting walk to the bus stop this morning.  Today I was meeting my mom for breakfast.  She is an early bird, so I needed to leave the house before 7:00 a.m. to meet her.

Unfortunately, the bus that runs in front of my house does not run after 6:30 p.m. weekdays. It does not run at all on the weekend!

So I have to walk 1 mile to the nearest bus stop.

I had been listening to my online Classical Music class that I was taking from  Yale University.  But I finished the course.  I am quite sad. It was an amazing class and a good way to pass a mile walk. I have a few other classes I'm dabbling in. But they are not the same.  The instructors do not have the charisma that the professor from Yale had.

So this morning I had the idea to listen to recordings of Bach's Magnificat as I walked.  Most recordings are just under 30 minutes. The perfect amount of time. 

The choir I accompany has been working on this incredible work since the beginning of the school year. We are performing it two weeks from today. I'll be playing the organ.  Last week's rehearsal felt like we were transported to another level.  Beyond just the technical: notes, rhythm, lyrics...

It felt like we were beginning to make music. My arms are breaking out in goose bumps just thinking about it.

And today, as I put in my headphones, and pressed the play button on the Youtube recording, the goosebumps came back. With a vengence.  

I realize I am starting to really get inside the music. I have practiced it enough, that some of the passages I have by memory.  My spirits soared as I floated down the road, lifted up by the beautiful, pure tones.  

And everywhere I looked, I noticed brilliant colors that I had never really noticed before. Were they there all along? I didn't remember those flowers being such a vibrant hue.  It was an incredible, surreal experience.  







I think I will listen to the Magnificat on my daily walks for the next two weeks. 

I am so looking forward to this performance!

On another note, I have an uncle that is quite ill. He is very dear to me. He and his wife and children took me in when I was an awkward, angst filled teenager. I lived with them for a year.  Our family is praying that he will stay with us awhile longer. He is deeply loved.

My mother and I got to video chat with him last week over breakfast. He was in his hospital bed. My mother thanked me with tears in her eyes afterwards for connecting them.  My cousin initiated it. She also sent me a picture of him today. I am praying so hard. He is the dearest man I know.

My mother just texted me a picture of her holding me as a baby, and my uncle standing by her side. It was my baptism picture. They were so young.  And beautiful.  


Life does go by in the blink of an eye.  Today was a day that I felt truly present.  Trying not regret all the times I have not been there.

And vowing to remember the bright flowers, the ethereal music, and the loves between family members.

I will talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita

And here is today's hooping video. Day 308!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist