Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 364: Welcome to S.E. 82nd.


This afternoon, after teaching piano all day, I felt the need to find a place to eat and think and pray.  I had a coupon for a free Whopper at Burger King, since I did a survey about my last visit.  I usually go to the BK near the music center, since it is on the way home.

But my son told me there was a fire there Friday.  And last time I visited, their AC wasn't working. 
So I headed up to a location on  SE 82nd.

Wow, neighborhood does make all the difference!
Their AC was working, which made me happy.  One of my sweet students and his parents gave me flowers and a Starbucks gift card for an early Mother's Day present! I thought about putting my flowers and backpack on a table, to ease my load, but looking around at the rough crowd, I decided against it. 
I got in line.  It was quite busy. Busier then my usual location.

Finally, it was my turn to order. The cashier was a teenage girl.  She looked tired. She looked at my flower pot.
"Oh! How beautiful", she exclaimed. 

I thanked her and told her my piano student gave them to me. She smiled and exhaled. She seemed a bit stressed out.
I told her I had a coupon for a free Whopper, but the coupon said I had to purchase fries and a soft drink.

"Could I substitute salad for fries?" I asked. "I am trying to give up French fries."
She asked her manager. But he shook his head.  

"Sorry", she apologized.
"No worries", I said. I didn't want to make her day more difficult.
I turned to the woman behind me. She was speaking speedy Spanish to her little boy. 
I asked her if she would like my fries. She looked shocked, but then said, "Yes!"
I went to fill my cup with a diet Coke. But when I pressed the cup to the dispenser, no ice emerged.
I went back up to the counter. Several customers were gathered, cups in hand.
The young cashier came out from behind the counter with a big bag of ice and proceeded to refill the machine.
Finally, I got my order. I handed my fries over to the young mother and her son. Then settled down with my meal.
I had also ordered a side salad. So I made myself a Whopper salad!





I was quite pleased with my ingenuity! I settle down to dinner and my studies, smiling and feeling quite relaxed.  There were a couple of elderly gentleman having a conversation a few tables away. 

The teenage cashier came out and visited with the men for a few minutes. She complained about how stressful her job was.

"I'm considering quitting", she said.

At which point the men proceeded to give her grandfatherly advice.  They seemed to be regular customers. They called her by her first name.

Then the manager popped out and also called her by her first name. Apparently her break was over.

I went back to my reading.

Suddenly, a rough looking gentleman with a very loud voice plopped himself down at next table. He was ranting and raving about the poor service.  He seemed to be directing his complaints in my direction. I gave him a slight smile and went back to my reading.

But he kept on ranting.  Before I knew it, he had jumped up and was leaning over the rail, screaming at the BK staff!

The teenage girl started screaming back.  Much foul language went back and forth. Like a ping pong game.

I was quite alarmed. I glanced at the elderly gentlemen behind me. They looked concerned.

Angry man slammed his tray down. Fries flew across the table and onto the floor. He stormed out the door. 

Then, bang!  The door to the staff area swung open. The teenage girl stormed out with her backpack on.

I got up and went to look out the window.

The angry man was at the end of the parking lot. Screaming. The teenage girl was approaching him.  Gesturing angrily. And screaming.

I went up to the railing and told the manager that maybe we should call 9-1-1.  He said he would if it escalated. One of the teenage boy staff ran outside.  The elderly gentleman stood up and shuffled to the door. 

One of the looked at me and puffed out his chest.

"I may be 76 years old, but I am a retired Marine. We never forgot how to kick butt!" He exlaimed proudly. He and his buddy walked out into the parking lot.

I opened the door. The screaming had stopped. The teenage girl was coming back. Tears were streaming down her face.

I asked her if she was ok. She said she was. I asked her if the angry man had gone. She said he had. She told me they talked it out and even hugged.

"You shouldn't lose your job over this", I said. "He was way out of line".

"I know", she said. "But I quit!" She seemed relieved.

She went back in and talked to her manager.

The teenage boy came out into the dining area. He was holding a broom.  I was the only customer remaining.

I told him this was good conflict management experience. He nodded.

I mentioned that I didn't usually see that kind of behavior in Portland. But I didn't usually go to this BK.  

"Right", he said nodding. "Welcome to SE 82nd".

He looked wise beyond his years.

I went back to my reading.  I said a silent prayer for the young workers. 

Then I got up and headed for the bus home.  As I waited to cross at the crosswalk, a Cadillac approached.  The windows were down.  Loud music was blaring.  I expected rap or hip hop. And teenagers.

I didn't expect the elderly man. Nor did I expect to hear the "Lord's Prayer" being blasted from the speakers.  

I watched him roll by, screaming at the top of his lungs,

"...Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven..."


Welcome to SE 82nd.  


I made it home safely, by the way.

Talk to you tomorrow!
Love,

Zita

Here is today's hooping video!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist