Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 28: Peripatetic, Oikophobia, or Wanderlust...But Not Mr. T!

"per·i·pa·tet·ic"
ADJECTIVE
traveling from place to place, in particular working or based in various places for relatively short periods.
"the peripatetic nature of military life"
synonyms: nomadic · itinerant · traveling · wandering · roving · roaming · http://www.dictionary.com/browse/peripatetic

"...Oikophobia...is an aversion to home surroundings. It can also be used more generally to mean an abnormal fear (a phobia) of the home, or of the contents of a house ("fear of household appliances, equipment, bathtubs, household chemicals, and other common objects in the home")...The term derives from the Greek words oikos, meaning household, house, or family, and phobia, meaning "fear".
In 1808 the poet and essayist Robert Southeyused the word to describe a desire (particularly by the English) to leave home and travel."https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oikophobia
"Wanderlust is a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world"https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanderlust


I had a revelation today into my true nature! It came out of a bit of tension between my daughter and I. Apparently I have become a "hovering" Zma (my grandma name!).  In my attempt to be helpful, I have become critical. I have been pointing out to my daughter and son-in-law what needs to be done on the home front.

And I have become quite a nuisance!

I have actually become quite annoyed with myself. No one likes a nag, most of all me. Especially when that nag is me!

So I came up with a solution. I would guarantee that I would always be at home when I had Baby Gracie duty. (With pleasure! She is the highlight of my life!)

Aside from that, I would be either in Portland teaching piano, or I would go to the gym, or Starbucks, or the library.

And you know what? The first day of this new scheme, I walked through the park, across from our apartment complex.  It was early evening. Still hot, but a hint of a breeze was wafting through the trees. I heard a bird sing. It sounded like a cuckoo bird.

Appropriate. Because with this insane heat, and cramped living quarters, I have been feeling a bit cuckoo. Claustrophobic even!

I took a deep breath. I felt my whole being sigh. And let go. And I felt peaceful.

I walked to the Vine stop. It was only a 4 minute wait. And then...TADA! Only an 8 minute ride to 24-hour fitness.  I am a member. But I have not made an appearance in many moons.  With my move, my asthma, my whatever excuses.

But I am so glad I went!

My revelation is that I am most at peace with myself and the world when I am walking about.  If I could travel the world, I would.  Years ago, I took a belly dancing class. My teacher looked at me in amazement. She asked if I had studied belly dancing before. I had not. She said had a unique style, a "free flowing Gypsy" style.

I liked that.

"Home Sweet Home" is a lovely motto. But I've never been a homebody.  I'm most at home when my feet are moving! I think I am "peripatetic".  I don't really have an aversion to being at home, but too much time enclosed makes me short of breath.

Perhaps I jut have wanderlust!

One place that has always felt like home to me is the gym. It is one of my favorite places, second to the library. Starbucks comes in third. What is lovely about my hangouts is that you can find a gym, a library and a Starbucks in anytown, USA!

My other home away from home is the Community Music Center. But that is my place of employment. And, while other cities have music centers, I feel like this one is one of a kind. But I have been teaching there for 20 years. Longer than I've lived anywhere! So I'm definitely partial.





At this writing, I have had three visits to the gym.  Twice in one day!  That was Sunday. I first went in to workout. Then I went out for lunch. Then I went back and sat in the hot tub.  I returned home feeling like a new woman!

 I promised my daughter, God and myself not to nag.  I am seeking inspiration in remembering my "Grandma A" on my mother's side. She raised 4 children on a farm in the 1940's in a small town in Texas. Without a husband.  Her first husband died when my mother was just a baby. She remarried, but my mother tells me her stepfather, "Mr. T" was a horrible man. He wanted her mother to give up her two oldest children. That marriage didn't last long.

My grandma's older sister, "Aunt B" moved in. She lived with Grandma A, helping her with the housework and cooking until she died.

My daughter told me she would like me to be like Aunt B, not Mr. T.

I actually find it is easier to do things that need to be done, rather than point them out. Why spend so much emotional energy criticizing, when I can just do it.

I actually lived in Texas when I was 14. I spent time with Grandma A on the farm.  Even though she was at that point a grandmother, she still rose early.

I think it was 4:00 a.m.

I remember the sweet smell of freshly baked bread teasing my nostrils as I lay in bed. She would make bread, feed the chickens, clean, make breakfast, all in the wee hours. She was an amazing, strong woman. I have always admired her.

I think about her now with my new routine. I wake up early, close my bedroom window before the heat comes, do the dishes, put the trash on the porch for my son-in-law to take out, feed and water the dog, turn on the AC, and then go to the park and hoop. This is all before 8:00 a.m.

If it is a Baby Gracie day, I will spend several heavenly hours with my granddaughter.

If it is a teaching day, I will get ready to board the bus to Portland and teach.

In the evening, I will go to the gym. And perhaps sometimes out for an expensive dinner, or walk about town. Last night I discovered a part of Vancouver I did not know existed. It wasn't there when I was young!  It is called "Uptown Village".  I am looking forward to more exploration!

Here are some pictures I took last night:






I am sore, but I feel good. I feel strong. Like Mr. T! No! Not Mr. T! I am helpful like Aunt B! :)

(By the way, my mom tells me that Aunt B and Grandma A would have "conversations" late at night when the kids were in bed. Sometimes my mom would hear Aunt B fussing at Grandma A in Czech! I would have loved to have been a bug on the wall to hear that! I always thought they were saints!)

I was actually named after a saint. I am far from a saintly woman.

On that note, I am off to teach.

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita (aka Aunt B, NOT Mr. T!)








Here is my latest hooping video. Day 367. I found a stellar hooping spot!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist