Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 30: Stellar AC, Daily Exercise and a Sleep Study

It has been a very good day so far.

My toe is almost completely healed.

I slept pretty well last night, despite the heat.

I woke up early, did my morning chores and then went to the park with my daughter and Gracie for some hoop time.

The exterminators are coming to our apartment complex today to spray for Box Elder Beetles. We had to cover everything on the balcony. It was like a scene from a horror movie. My son-in-law went out with me to cover my bicycle.  Above his head, thousands of beetles scurried about.  My daughter inside with Baby Gracie. She watched us through the window, her mouth wide open in an "O" of horror!

We made it back in with only one bug. He was on my leg.  I brushed him off and told Honey Dawg to go after him. She sniffed and turned away.

Hopefully after tomorrow, there will be no more beetles.

I am teaching piano in Portland today. My commute from Vancouver was seamless. I left home at 11:30 a.m., walked through the park to the Vine stop. I arrived at 11:45 a.m. At 11:50, the Vine pulled up. As the doors opened, I was hit by a wave of cool air.  I hopped on board and settled into my seat.  The AC is stellar on the Vine!

At 12:10, I hopped off downtown Vancouver.  It was a 10 minute wait for the 105 I-5 Express.  Unfortunately, there was very little shade. The people at the bus stop were huddled together in little clumps where a bit of shade was to be found. It reminded me of rainy, winter months, when people are crowded into the little bus stops.

No personal space is necessary in extreme weather!

Son the 105 pulled up. Aah! More stellar AC! I got out my knitting. I am making a bath towel for Gracie.  I expected the commute down I-5 to be congested, with the construction on the I-84 off ramp.  It wasn't bad at all! We arrived in downtown Portland at 1:00 p.m. I hopped off and walked a block to the #17 bus stop.  I looked up at the readerboard.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  I had a 1 minute wait!

I smiled to myself. I'm working on my attitude yet again. Instead of whining and complaining about the intense heat, I am finding little things to be grateful for. Like short waits at bus stops.  And stellar AC!

I am now at the library. Since my commute was so quick, I am relishing a nice, leisurely library visit. One of my favorite  places in the world!  And I am stoked that I have blogged two days in a row! I really aim to get back to daily blogging. It does my mind and emotions a world of good.

Just like daily exercise does my body a world of good.

Yesterday, I not only hooped in the morning, but I made it to the gym in the afternoon. I am woman, hear me roar!

I am not only happy because of my daily accomplishments, but I am also so looking forward to this evening. Tonight is my overnight sleep study at the Oregon Clinic!

Hopefully they will find a solution to my sleep apnea. Hopefully I will no longer feel like "POOFing"
in the middle of the afternoon anymore! ("POOF" - my acronym for Pass Out On Floor)

I packed my pjs, toothbrush, knitting, some books and my TMJ night guard.  I will post some pictures of my room when I get there.

I only hope that I don't get so excited about this adventure that I have trouble sleeping!  I mean, I do struggle with insomnia, but the study is to determine if I have sleep apnea. Thus, I do need to sleep!

I imagine they have stellar AC at the Oregon Clinic.

I hope so!


On that note, I'm going to stop at Starbucks on my way to teach classes. A match green tea frapaccino with soy milk, no sweetener, plus whip cream is calling my name.

Talk to you tomorrow. Stay cool!


Love,

Zita





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist