Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 124: Speaking of Heaven


Happy Easter!

He is risen!

And I am completely exhausted.

But happy.

I woke up at 5:00 a.m. this morning in order to get to Arm Stephen Lutheran church in Gladstone on time.  I ordered a Lyft ride.  I splurged and rode the entire trip instead of to the Delta Park Max stop.  I didn't want to chance being late.

I played two services today.

The first was a traditional service. I played only pipe organ.  I have been petrified all week. I told the pastor I am a pianist, not an organist. But that I have played the organ. I practiced on the organ at St. Stephen once. And twice at St. Mark's in Portland.

But every organ is different. The organ at St. Stephen has no preset stops. Which means I wish I had another hand to operate the stops while I played the two keyboards.  I also cheated and didn't play the foot keyboard. Shhh! Don't tell!

I learned how to use a 16 foot stop to give a nice deep sound.

I arrived in Gladstone about an hour early. I stopped at "Heavenly Donuts" (appropriate name, right?!) and had a bagel and coffee. I then looked through all my music, made sure it was in order and rehearsed both services in  my head.

What? In my head?

Yes! I tell you, it can be done. Honestly some of my best practice is in my head.  After one run through, I munched my bagel and sipped my bitter, black coffee. There was television behind the counter. I picked up the words, "fatalities" and "churches"

"Oh, no", I thought.  I looked up at the screen in time to catch the news of the bombings at the churches in Sri Lanka.

I felt like someone kicked me in the stomach.  No matter how many shootings, bombings, killings, I always feel it viscerally.  It is so tragic to hear of such evil.  I am waiting to hear if they find the parties responsible.

As I packed up  my bag to walk to church, the sun came out from behind a cloud. I hear some squawking and looked up in time to see a flock of Canadian geese. Everywhere, flowers were blooming.  I sneezed.  And then I looked up to see the darling little Lutheran church was I was to play this morning. It is an older, brick church, perched innocently on a corner block in a neighborhood amongst small family homes.

Innocent.

Like the victims of the church bombings.  I stopped in my tracks for a moment and said a prayer. I imagined if it were a church I was attending, or my family or friends.  I reached deep to pull up more compassion. I feel like I so often take my safe, comfortable life for granted.

The pastor asked us to keep our brothers and sisters in Sri Lanka in our prayers as the candles were being lit.

Both church services went smoothly.  I was surprised at how many people complimented me on my organ playing. One of the men from the bell choir said it was "beautiful and smoothly played." I thanked him and told him that meant a lot to me since I am not really an organist.

He chucked and said I could have fooled him.

I then remembered a line from one of the books I recently read. I think it was by Richard Grant.
"I'm not a hunter", he said.

He had just made his first kill. One of his buddies looked at him and said, "You made a kill, you are a hunter".

So I played the organ. I guess that makes me an organist?

Honestly, it was such a positive experience today. I managed to stay humble and remember why I was there. I said a prayer before the service that I contribute to worship.  I was friendly, but stayed mostly on task.

I think I might want to finally study the pipe organ!  Add that to my list of books to read, videos to watch, classes to take.  I hope they have books in heaven. I need  more time!

Speaking of heaven, I finished The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom on the bus ride home today.  It is seriously the best of all his books I have read so far.

I want to share this quote from the Author's Note at the front of the book.  (This is actually from the front of The Next Person You Meet in Heaven. It is similar, but more in depth):


"This story, like The Five people You Meet in Heaven, was inspired by my beloved uncle, Eddie Beitchman, a World War II vet who thought he was "a nobody, who never did nothing."
When I was a child, Eddie told me of a night he nearly died at a hospital, and rose from  his body to see his departed loved ones waiting for him, at the edge of the bed.
From that moment, I viewed heaven as a place where we encounter those we touched on earth, and where we get to see them again. But I recognize this is my view only. There are many others, along with many religious definitions, and all should be respected.
So this novel, and its version of the afterlife, is a wish, not a dogma, a desire that loved ones like Eddie find the peace that eluded them on earth, and realize how much we all affect one another, every day of this precious life." The Next Person You Meet in Heaven, Mitch Albom

Read this book!  

Well, I probably need to stop  here. I am bone tired. And the man on the computer in front of me keeps turning around and glaring at me. 

I am typing at the speed of light.  Well probably 140 wpm...at least that's what my top speed was last time I checked.  He's probably just jealous.

P.S. I just discovered the $.50 coffee at BK!
I'm trying to type fast so I can get home and see  my granddaughter before I drop dead.  Just a euphemism, don't worry.  I just want to go to bed early tonight. I haven't seen my precious little granddaughter for three whole days!  I think I am going through withdrawals. 

So I will give the man in the next row a respite from my fast, noisy typing (must be due to all those years of piano lessons) and make
a tree and leave!

Happy Sunday!

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita

Tired me with my $.50 coffee on Saturday

And today's hooping video. Day 50!














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i