Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 121: There is a Book or Two in Here Somewhere!

I survived Palm Sunday as guest pianist/organist at a new church.

I will admit it now. I was extremely nervous.  I am always fearful of new situations. Especially interacting with new people. In this situation, I would be playing with musicians I had never met before.

Gulp.

So I did a wise thing. I got up super early, ordered a Lyft ride to the Delta Park Max station and then settled in for an hour trip to Gladstone. I was about to finish Dispatches From Pluto: Lost and Found in the Mississippi Delta by Richard Grant. I had almost returned the book to the library without finishing it.

I am glad I decided to finish it. I must admit, it didn't grab hold of me like the previous book I read by Grant (God's Middle Finger: Into the Lawless Heart of the Sierra Madre)

Perhaps there was not as much danger and suspense. I have a feeling I might go back and reread Dispatches From Pluto again someday. Mainly because I am fascinated with that part of the country; it's history and especially the birth of the Blues.

I nearly finished my book on the Max. Once I got to Milwaukie, I realized I had an hour to kill.  I thought about breakfast at the Bomber, but was surprised to see that the old bomber plane had been removed. It kind of killed the joy for me. Plus, I was not hungry enough for a big, diner breakfast. 

In Milwaukie I needed to catch another bus to the church. As I waited in the cold, drizzle, I heard a car pull up behind me. Then I heard my name being called out. I turned around, curiously. 

It was one of my son's good friends from middle school. He asked me if I needed a ride. It turned out he was not going quite as far down McLaughlin as I, so I thanked him and told him the bus was arriving just now, anyway.

It arrived. I toyed with the idea of coffee and a donut before church.  A bit of incentive to ease my nerves. But I remembered my resolve to keep sugar out of my diet, not to mention the carbs.  I got off the bus and noticed a Taco Bell less then a block away.  Perfect! I headed in and ordered a large, black coffee and a breakfast burrito.

$3 later, I was happily sitting in a quite, clean restaurant with my cell phone charging.  I finished Dispatches from Pluto I felt a small surge of pride, having finished yet another book. My coffee was cooling off. It was too hot to drink at first. Finally I took a sip. It felt like it went directly to my brain and switched on the light.

I walked the few blocks to the little Lutheran church with a smile.  The service went well. I was quite moved with the parade of palm waving church goers. As they walked by the piano, I would look up and smile. I felt joy and love between those walls. 

I had prepared quite well and my early morning commute complete with strong black coffee gave my confidence a little lift.  I played well and mingled well. 

Good thing, since I am playing there again this Sunday for Easter. Two services: One traditional early morning service on the organ; one contemporary service on the piano. 

The only speed bump is that the other musician I met plays guitar using lead sheets on a digital screen.  But I kept telling myself that this is not a performance. I am here to fill a musical need for worship. I did my best, even played music off of the computer screen that I had been given the wrong key in print.

It is easy to let your ego get in the way when you play church music. I have decided to lose the ego.  It has not served me well in the past. 

I feel confident about this coming Sunday, but I still arranged to practice at a nearby Lutheran church the day before. I have friends there. The organ is bigger, but the hymns are the same. My system lately is to focus on my most imminent musical job.  I will go over the entire two services on Saturday.  Then Sunday I can just relax, play my best and enjoy the moment!

It is a lovely little church.  And the people were very sweet. But it is too far for me to work at regularly.

I was pleased to hear from the pastor of the church in Vancouver that I had applied for. A Lutheran church. I am interviewing next week. 

In the  meantime, I finished another book. The First Phone Call From Heaven. It was the perfect book to read after my nerves settled down from the new church. And it was refreshingly light reading after the last book. I finished it in one day, mostly on buses!

I really enjoyed this little book. It is the second book by Mitch Albom I've read (the first being The Next Person You Meet in Heaven). Again, I enjoyed the first book I read by Mitch Albom much better. I found it to be deeper spiritually.  And the characters were more fully developed. But The First Phone Call From Heaven was delightful.  An interesting plot with a fun twist at the end. It was a fast read, but there were some interesting side notes about Alexander Graham Bell and the invention of the first telephone.

I would recommend this book.  Just don't have huge expectations. 

Now, just to keep me on my toes, I have jumped head first into a William Faulkner novel: Sanctuary. This is not light reading. Quite deep.  I am not sure how I feel about it yet, but I am just beginning.

More next time.

Now, I must go grab some groceries.  This week I am making a rich Italian sausage, garlic spaghetti sauce in my crockpot, laced with many vegetables chopped so small that they will be incognito! 

I will give a batch to my parents. My mother was sternly advised by her doctor to add more fruits and vegetables to her diet.  I plan on cooking it low and slow and then serving it over brown rice pasta for our family. I'll send some regular spaghetti home for my mom and dad. 

It has become a little ritual. My mom and I meet for breakfast and conversation once, sometimes twice a week. Then she comes back and plays with her great granddaughter before she goes home to care for my father. I always send her with a good, healthy, home-cooked meal, chock full of veggies.

Our weekly conversations are something I always look forward to.  For some reason, this just brought to mind a book I have been meaning to read by Mitch Albom: Tuesdays with Morrie. I just reserved it a the library.

Perhaps the book I've been meaning to write can center around breakfast with my mom. Hmmm....

I do know that I originally began this blog to keep me accountable about eating better, exercising, losing weight and ultimately living better.  But in the process, I have discovered I really enjoy writing!

There is a book or two in here somewhere!

Happy Wednesday!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita




P.S. Below is today's Qi Gong/Hooping session. Day 46!  I am definitely breathing better. And my energy is soaring! :)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i