Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 116: Pancho Villa, the Travel Bug and Resurrected Dreams

I am rethinking my camper van dream.  I have had such remarkable experiences on public transportation lately, that I am afraid to shift the balance in my life.  More stress would definitely tilt the balance into a more negative direction.

Owning and driving a vehicle again would entail more stress: Traffic, gas, maintenance.

I can experience the freedom and travel I seek without a vehicle. Public transportation has been a friend of mine. As far as travel, there is always Amtrak. I think it would be quite an adventure to go cross country on the train! Think of the adventures I would experience. And I could share them with you!

Eventually I would like to do some world travelling. I have been perusing Road Scholar brochures for years.  I think I'd better get my passport!

As far as living situations, I am starting to search for a roommate situation where I can have my space without offending anyone.  Just a place to hang my hat, eat, read, shower.  Offering pleasantries when I run into other humans is about as much interaction as I seek.

Although last week, I had more than one in depth conversation. With other humans!  And they were quite satisfying.  I know I am capable. And they seemed to fill a deep longing for connection.

The most memorable conversation was with a man at the Delta Park Max station.  An older gentleman approached me. I did not have a book or cell phone in hand as a distracting mechanism. I looked at him, expecting him to ask for directions. Or money. 

He did neither. He attempted to start a conversation. He mentioned that the Max drivers did not wait for passengers who were bolting from their arriving buses.  He seemed a little grumpy about it.  I did not really want to get into a grumpy, complaining conversation with a stranger. I nodded slightly.  But he continued talking. He mentioned an incident where he ran for the train and tried to hit the button to open the door, but the train took off. He even had made eye contact with the driver.

The man stopped and looked at me. I think I was supposed to answer. I've kind of forgotten how to conversate!  Either I'm teaching piano students, talking to an 18 month-old (who is already quite the conversationalist!) or engaged in daily living talks with family members (Do we need lemons, garlic or ginger at the house?  When should we meet for breakfast?  Can we have lunch tomorrow?).

But this had the feeling of a real conversation. I took the bait. And we talked for the next half hour!  We boarded the train together and continued talking. We went from talks about ill matched bus-train schedules, to Virgil Fox, the organist, to Loprinzi's Gym to diners, including the now defunct Quality Pie.

And I totally enjoyed myself. He got off a few stops before me and hollered that he enjoyed our talk. And then, "My name is G___. We'll probably run into each other again!"

I hope we do.  I feel a kinship to Richard Grant, the author of the book I just now finished: God's Middle Finger: Into the Lawless Heart of the Sierra Madre, Excellent book! True story, which makes it more fascinating. I could not put it down.  Mr. Grant risked his life to spend time in the Sierra Madre in very dangerous territory, known for it's high incident of violent crime. He narrowly escaped with his life. But he also made some good friends and lived to tell many entertaining tales.  He tried hard to get to know the Native "Tarahumaras", but they were very suspicious of foreigners. They are a fascinating group. Known for the insane running abilities and unusual customs. They ran long distances daily, never trained and drank copious amounts of alcohol.   I did a little research, and discovered an interesting article on them in Runner's World: https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a20954821/born-to-run-secrets-of-the-tarahumara/ He learned quickly that to avoid being robbed, beaten or murdered by the "narcos" (drug traffickers),  he had to have a contact person. If he mentioned a person's name that was know in the village, he was allowed to visit unharmed. 

In several scenes, he was in a village, attempting to make friends and be "amigos" with some tough guys that just weren't buying it.  He kept explaining that he was from England and writing a book about the Sierra Madre.  Finally he told them he was researching the life of Pancho Villa. He was accepted more readily after that.

I have a whole list of books that I want to read now. About the Sierra Madre. About Pancho Villa.

Here is a quote to whet your appetite about Pancho:

"I know nothing about your corn, Senor. But you can be sure that my men will hunt you out and shoot you if that son of yours and his brothers do not go to school. Don't you know that we are fighting the Revolution so that every Mexcian child may go to school? ~Martin Luis Guzman, "Memoirs of Pancho Villa"

Apparently, he was a murderer, and cruel to women. But he loved children. Not just his own. All children. And unlike most of his compadres, he did not drink alcohol.  He instead drank strawberry soda. 

I just picked up another book by Richard Grant: Dispatches from Pluto: Lost and Found in the Mississippi Delta . I am so excited to begin this book. I became obsessed with the Blues and its origin about 15 years ago. I dream of also someday traveling to Mississippi.

Yes, I've got the travel bug. I've got it bad. But for now, I will have to travel in my head. Not for long though. I don't want to wait until I'm "retired' (if that ever happens). I may be too old by then!

Hopefully not. I am feeling good today. I started the day with Qi Gong breathing exercise and a hoop workout. Day 36!  

I played the piano as a guest in a church in Portland. I ate healthy. I've gone back to drinking black coffee.  I think that I need to greatly decrease sugar. At this point, I am avoiding wheat, soy, fried food and sugar.

The key word is "avoiding". I find that if I get too obsessive, it pretty much ruins my life. So I just stay in the moment and try to make the best eating choice with the food at hand.

Having resurrected some dreams has greatly improved my mood.  I think that is part of the equation of the balance I have been seeking. To have hopes and dreams.

I am still a work in progress. Until the day I die. Then God can take care of me after that.

On that note, I wish you a happy Sunday!

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita



Here is today's hooping video: 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i