Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 114: "The Reckoning", The Bataan Death March and a Trip in My Head

When I last blogged, on Sunday, I said I'd talk to you tomorrow. That was 4 days ago.

Since then I've been on a trip. In my mind. I am immersed in an incredible novel: The Reckoning by John Grisham.  I've read his books before. They are most often described as "legal thrillers".

The first half of The Reckoning does fit that mold.  I was pulled in from the first page. But the second half is phenomenal! It is more aptly described "historical fiction" as it goes back in time to the "Bataan Death March" in April 1942.

It began in April 9, 1942.  77 years ago. Almost to the day!

I am fascinated, horrified and intrigued. I have several other books on hold, a few that Mr. Grisham recommended himself in the "Author's Note".

I asked my mother if she knew much about it. She said, "Oh, yes. And your father knows more than me!"  Her uncle was actually stationed in the Philipines in World War II, but was not part of the death march.

As I get older, I become more and more interested in history.  Interesting.

But that explains my absence. I am feeling very calm and balanced. I have so needed to escape my health woes. What better place to go than far, far away into the recesses of my imagination?

By the way, I highly recommend The Reckoning. I will post about the other books I read at a later date.

However, as I was returning some other books to the library earlier, another book caught my eye. It is not about World War II, the Philippines or the Bataan Death March. It is about the Sierra Madre.

The title was intriguing. Even more the description:

"This is exactly the book you're hoping for when you pick it up: a crazy, sprawling story so well-written, you can't decide whether to keep reading or go to Mexico to see for yourself. Keep reading: You have an extraordinary book in your hands." ~ Sebastian Junger, author of The Perfect Storm.

The title of the book is God's Middle Finger by Richard Grant.

It is next on my list. I should finish The Reckoning this evening.

So many books, so little time!

Speaking of which, I am also preparing for three church services this month. I am the guest pianist for two churches. So I have some practicing to do. And I will be interviewing for a church pianist at a church in Vancouver. The pastor called me today. She sounds so lovely! I have a good feeling about this job. I actually have been to the church. With a friend in high school. About 40 years ago!

Please pray for the best outcome.

If I get this job, it will lighten my financial load, which will in turn give me options for my housing dilemma. I feel it is time to let my daughter and her husband do this thing called parenting on their own. I hope I am still involved in my granddaughter's life, but I need to take a few steps back.

I am seriously considering my original plan. A camper van. Before I started this blog, I actually had begun a blog called "Onion Woman". It dealt with me peeling off the dry old layers of my false self and rediscovering my authentic self. Part of which was buying a camper van.  I felt the need to be free to travel. And live very simply.  I even put on a fund raiser with a friend, but got pressure from family to NOT buy the van. So I moved to Salem to be close to my daughter. Rent was dirt cheap in Salem.  I was considering studying Thanatology, which is the study of death. A certified thanatologist is like a musical caregiver a the end of life. To help transition the patient into death and beyond with gentle music.

I am still fascinated with the field, especially the classes required.  I may reach this goal yet - before my own demise!

So much living to do. My hope is, in heaven that I will have an eternity to read all the books, play all the musical instruments and explore all my interests!

But for now, I am here and trying to stay healthy enough to enjoy this life. A friend of mine texted me this morning that she saw on a television program that the loss of smell can be a sign of impending Parkinson's disease. This got my curiosity up. My father, after all, was diagnosed with Parkinson's 2 years ago, following his stroke.

I had assumed my loss of smell had to do with my allergies and asthma. It is worth looking into. I have seen how devastating Parkinson's can be firsthand. For my father, and for my mother, who is his caregiver.

If it is in my future, I will certainly battle it with healthy eating and exercise!

But for now, I am here. And I am feeling good today.

That is all. My books are calling me.

Happy Wednesday!

Talk to you tomorrow, unless I take another scenic trip in my head!

Love,

Zita




P.S. Today is Day 33 of return to daily hooping. I added a bit of Qi Gong breathing exercises at the beginning. 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist