Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 183: Bach Chorales, Estudiando Español and Stuff!






I am having a good day today!

We had a guest preacher today in church - little Lutheran church where I have been hired to provide piano and organ music every Sunday.

I liked his sermon. He opened referring to George Carlin's talk about "stuff".

I have to admit, humor works with me.  I will always remember this sermon. Plus he made it interactive. I think the congregration (myself included) said the word "stuff" about 50 times when cued. 

Here's the George Carlin video:


I also really liked the hymns we sang. We opened with "Lift Every Voice and Sing".  When I accompanied the Roosevelt High School choir, about 10 years ago, I learned that this hymn is sometimes called the "African American National Anthem".  I also discovered that if people love a song, they can truly sing. I never heard these kids sing until they sang this one for me.  

Chills and goosebumps even as I recall the experience.

We ended with "Go Tell it On the Mountain".  Which was really fun, because I've never heard that song sung outside of the Christmas season.  

I was feeling moved by the Spirit. So I let loose with this one.  I added some bluesy licks and a glissando here and there.  I also played it for the postlude as kind of a reprise.  After I finished people whooped and hollered and clapped.

Let me remind you that this is a Lutheran church.  I admit I am not immune to stereotypes. My experience so far in Lutheran churches is a tad more serious.  

I was a little nervous walking into coffee hour.  I am a "highly sensitive person" (HSP - it is a real thing!). So, if someone were to say I played too loud or too anything, I might go home and cry.  

Or not. I hope I've matured a bit since becoming a Zma!

Well, let me tell you.  I grabbed a bite to eat and a cup of tea in the coffee room.  This was only my second Sunday at this church, so I didn't really know anyone.  I looked around for a friendly face. There were two empty tables. The rest of the tables were filled.  People were talking and eating. No eye contact.

I felt like the unpopular kid in high school. I found an empty table and sat down. But I didn't feel awkward. This was my job. And now I would have some refreshment.  If people wanted to visit with me, it would be nice. But I'd be o.k. Sometimes it takes folks awhile to warm up to a new person. Last week I grabbed food and ran out the door.  Later I thought perhaps I should have been more assertive. Perhaps gone up to people and introduced myself.

Nah. That's not my style.

But I needn't have worried. It took maybe a minute! Soon I was surrounded by people introducing themselves, welcoming me and telling me they loved my playing! They said it made them happy. They said I played with "Zip".

It made me smile. I sat with one lady for quite a while. I leaned over and asked her if she thought I played too loud.

"Heavens, no!" she replied. "Play louder! I was raised Lutheran. I remember all the slow, death marches in church as a youth. Don't do that!"

I like her.

I left the church smiling and feeling light.  It feels good to make people happy. It gives me pride to do a good job.

And after that sermon, I am inspired to clean my room. I have too much stuff!

On another note, I have decided to finally learn Spanish. I have many reasons for this, primarily because I keep running into the same elderly man in Vancouver while waiting for the bus. He is petite and usually dressed well, carrying a trumpet. In halting English once he told me he plays in a mariachi band.  The only Spanish I've tried on him so far is "hola" and "adios".  I've long been under the impression that I should have studied Spanish in high school and college instead of German.  I rarely have the opportunity to speak German in Vancouver or Portland!  So I'm listening to podcasts on the bus. And I got a few children's books in Spanish. I am considering teaching piano in Spanish.

However, speaking of German...I'm also studying Bach. Bach chorales to be precise.  Bach himself was German and Lutheran! He wrote many chorales based on Lutheran hymns.  https://theimaginativeconservative.org/2016/03/riddle-of-bachs-lutheran-mass.html

I love it when I am inspired to study! And when the subjects of my studies fit so nicely together!

I will be studying the Bach chorales on the pipe organ. 

The  pipe organ at my church is small. Only one keyboard (Manual) and a pedal board. I decided that Baroque music would suit this instrument. And Bach is pretty much the king of the Baroque era! 

When I was at the music center teaching yesterday, I spied a book on Bach chorales. I borrowed it and had an instant lightening flash.  I decided that moment that I shall study Bach chorales on the organ!

And Spanish!

On the bus! 

The reason this is so profound is that it occurred to me that my thinking as been faulty lately. I keep telling myself I need to be informed and aware. That I may be in the position of saving someone someday soon.

All well and good, but with what I've been focusing on lately, I might as well be studying for a degree in mass shooting!

AACCK!

So I am backing off Facebook and Twitter for now. I know I've said this before, yada yada yada...but I now have more interesting studies.

On that note, I need to close. It is time for lunch.

¡Feliz domingo! 

Te hablaré mañana. 

Amor,

Zita


P.S. I'm still intermittent fasting!  I do 20 hour fasts 4 to 5 days a week.  16 to 18 hour fasts on the weekends.  Down 12 pounds! :)

P.P.S. I'm still hooping! Day 126! Here's today's video:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist