Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 172: Surrender Belly Fat!

I'm doing something brave today. I'm decreasing my eating window.  I am now on a 21:3 intermittent fasting plan.

21 is how many hours I fast. (21 hours consecutively!)
3  designates my "eating window". I can eat between the hours I designate.  Currently that is 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

I don't worry too much about what I eat within my window.  I know how to eat healthy. My goal is discipline and weight loss.  As I get used to this schedule, I will fine tune my eating. I am loosely focusing on veggies, lean protein, fruit and whole grains, but avoiding wheat. Avoiding sugar and processed, fried foods. But this is something I have been working on for many moons.

I found that I was not worried about eating this morning.  I had planned to eat at 10:30 a.m., but was not really hungry. So I pushed it forward to 11 a.m. I had a very healthy first meal, including a hard boiled egg, tabbouli, lentils, rice and fresh cherries.

At 12:30 I stopped at a little Mexican restaurant on the way to the library. I ordered a beef tamale, and a chicken taco.  The lovely thing about this place is that they have a complimentary salad bar.  It consisted of the usual: sliced, fresh radishes, pickled carrots, jalapenos and a variety of hot sauces. But it also included fresh lettuce, sliced tomatoes, fresh, sliced cucumbers and several different salad dressings.

I loaded up on fresh veggies and grabbed a few sliced limes for my ice water. I sat and enjoyed my lunch as I finished my latest Richard Paul Evans book  (Miles to Go). I practically inhaled the book, it was that good. So was my food! And at just a little over $6.00, it was a steal!  I may have found a new hangout.

The book I just finished is the second journal of "The Walk" series. I've read them out of sequence. I have read books 2, 3 and 4. I have the 5th book at home. And the first on hold at the library.

As an avid walker, I really relate to the main character, Alan Christoffersen who had several life tragedies. He decides to leave everything behind and walk from Seattle To Key West, FL. It's fascinating. The sights he sees, the people he makes, but mostly what he discovers about himself.

In Miles to Go, the author states in an afterward, written to his readers, that one of his character "Kalamai" was based on a real person.  She was a young lady who ran away from an abusive foster care home.  Her parents were both deceased. She would be turning 18 soon and would not longer be controlled by the state.

Apparently, foster kids that "age out of care" is a real problem in our country.  It is something I would like to do more research. I started by googling Kailamai, foster care. It turns out she has written a book and is an advocate for kids aging out of the foster care system.

I promptly put her book on hold at the library.

It is called Out of the Darkness: My Journey Through Foster Care by Kailamai Hansen.

I am still stalled at an 8 pound weight loss, but my clothes are fitting better and I have more energy.  The early evenings are still difficult. That is when my hunger pangs take over.  I have been strong though. I tell myself (I talk to my stomach actually) that I am fine. That I will NOT break my fast and that I can eat what I like the next day at 11:00 a.m.

When the 2:00 hour approaches, I also panic a bit, knowing I will not be able to eat again until the next day.  But again, I speak calmly to my stomach, who has the mentality of a 2 year old in full blown tantrum mode.

Then I drink a lot of water, iced tea and sometimes allow myself a "happy coffee".  Some intermittent fasting purists say this breaks a fast. But the ones in my circles, (the "dirty fasters") say it is o.k. Yesterday I posted a study that says heavy cream in coffee does not break a fast or take one out of keto, if you are a keto person.

I will keep my happy coffee for now.  I will eventually lose this extra weight. I have to. I am eating so much less, and so much healthier than most of my life. And I am exercising daily.

 I am woman! I am capable! I am strong!

And I have my "STRONG" t-shirt on today!

I got this.



Surrender Belly Fat!


On that note, I need to head out. I am planning on practicing on the organ and piano at my new church job location.

I didn't get a hoop session in this morning, regrettably.  I woke up after my granddaughter. When that happens, hooping doesn't happen!

But after my piano/organ practice, I plan on hitting the gym. And I have a mile or two walk in between.


So I wish you a happy Wednesday!
Talk to  you tomorrow!
Love,

Zita

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist