Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 226: Two Excellent Movies, and Oozing Joy at the Library

I got some much needed relaxation today.  And I found some movies I liked, at last!

 Last night after I finished my blog post, the lights were flickering at the library. It was our 5 minute warning before they shut the doors. As I headed out, I glanced at the DVD's and literally grabbed two that popped out at me.

One was "My House in Umbria". I saw Maggie Smith's picture on the cover, and figured I could not go wrong with her! In my middle aged years, I have been more and more partial to British films. 

This is a lovely, lovely movie. I was quite sleepy last night when I turned it on, and only made it halfway through. I plan on finishing it tonight after choir practice. 

I slept like a baby, which solidifies my theory that I should be careful what I read, watch on tv, look at on the internet, or think before I go to sleep.

The second movie was "My Life as a Zucchini". This one is so good, I may have to buy it. I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate for my 2 year-old granddaughter. It is animated, but rated PG-13. It is a French movie, but this was in English. It is about a little boy who loses his mother and is sent to a foster home. The love he experiences with the other orphans and some of the adults is transforming and exquisite.  I love, love, love this movie.  And so did Grace!  She was mesmerized.

Since today was a day of relaxation, I did not get my hooping session in because not only did I oversleep, but I also took a 1.5 hour nap!

There is something about a mid winter nap.  It was hard to get moving again. But I feel on the road to rejuvenation!

I even treated myself to a plant based dinner at Paul's Diner downtown Vancouver.





 I must say, if one is feeling lonely here in the Couve, the thing to do is hop on the Vine.  I had some very interesting conversations with some very friendly people. Vancouver has a different vibe than Portland. In Portland, hoards of people of all eschelons, blue collar, white collar, students, old, young, etc. take public transportation and walk on the sidewalks, even at night.  In Vancouver, the streets are nearly vacant after dark. The people who take public transportation (like the Vine), tend to be homeless and lower income.  But much more prone to conversation with a stranger than in Portland.

The people, generally are polite in Portland, but there is not much conversation with strangers on the bus.

Today, it was quite welcome.  I feel part of a community! And here at the library, the man at the computer terminal next to me invited me to his art showing.  Well, ehem, it seems his art showing is in his hotel room up the street (he even gave me the room number), but I politely declined. I told him I am a church pianist and I am on my way to choir practice.  That stopped the conversation.

Still, it is nice that I am not feeling so invisible anymore.  Perhaps I am sending out friendlier vibes.

A lady on the Vine earlier told me she was  Gemini. She said she had been cooped up at home for 5 days and needed to get out.  She said she likes being alone. I told her I did too, but I was a Capricorn!

I told her I liked people, but I also needed a lot of alone time. She nodded in agreement. She said she hides out a lot because of all the "drama". 

"Are they ever going to impeach Trump", she asked rolling her eyes.

We both chuckled.

My conversations with my son have been upbeat. He has adjusted to life at Coffee Creek. He should only be there a few more weeks. I hope his next facility is as positive. Curiously, we were warned that Coffee Creek was the worst part about incarceration for men in Oregon: No visitors, lock down in the cell for about 21 hours a day, no classes, work or programs.

However, he tells me the food is better than county jail. And his cell mate is cool. They take turns purchasing movies to watch on the tablet that inmates check out.

And just now, I met another man here at the library, "Mo" it says on his name tag. He asked me if I was a "friend of the library". I told him I love the library and spend a lot of time here, but I'm  not an official "friend".

He told me that I am oozing joy with  my smile.

O.K. I guess this is a good day!

I will leave it at that and go off to play for an Advent service at church, choir practice afterward, and then for a brief jaunt at the gym.  I have been going to the gym lately after choir practice. It is close by and the bus is usually a long wait in the cold. So instead of shivering at the bus stop, I head into the gym and hop on a treadmill and catch up on the news.

Then I take Lyft home.  I have started being kinder to myself.

I guess it shows!


Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i