Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 220: Knitting Socks on the Freeway

I am writing a daily blog about my son's prison experience, or as my mom so eloquently phrases it, "His time at the resort". Or as my son's mother-in-law puts it, "Furthering his education!"

This experience is furthering the education of our whole family.  What doesn't kill makes you stronger, right?

I am feeling stronger every day. But I have my moments.

Here is an excerpt from today's post in "13 Months":

(I will probably not publish it.  It is for my son when he has done his time.  Perhaps we will write a book someday. Right now, he needs to survive and thrive!)

Papers, Bitte!

"I did not hear from my son until about 2:30 this afternoon. I am trying to discipline myself to be mindful about my day, and focus on what is at hand rather than let my imagination go wild with what my son is going through.

We spoke briefly as I got off the bus, on my way to the library to blog before I go teach piano lessons.

It is such a beautiful, winter day in Portland. The sky is a pale blue. It is chilly and crisp, but still. No arctic wind to chill the bones. Still, as I type this, my heart aches as I remember how much my son loves these kinds of days. I will ask him next time we speak if they are allowed any outside time at Coffee Creek.

He still has not gotten his prescriptions. So I just wrote a letter to his attorney. I left a voicemail this weekend, but I realize he is very busy. And Andrew is not his immediate concern.  I also informed him that Andrew does not have a sheet with his charges printed. He is really worried about being sent to the next facility without his papers on him. I told his lawyer that the other prisoners look at your charges to see if you committed a sex crime. If you have, you will be tortured.

This sounds like paranoid thinking, but I have heard about this from several men here on the outside. And Andrew has heard about it on the inside. 

We need to have his papers in order.

In the back of my mind, I hear a loud German Gestapo, asking for "Papers, bitte!"


I need to head out to teach students now.  I am going to say a prayer for my son before I breathe in and put myself in the present mode. Into Teacher Zita mode.

I am planning on going to the gym tonight. I have a choir concert, an Advent service, a church service and a piano student recital this week. I need to relieve some stress in order to give my musical best!


Happy Monday! :)

Zita

PS Below are some pictures of my son and I at our farewell breakfast on the day of his sentencing. We went to Biscuits Cafe in Gresham. We cleaned our plates - our family has no problem keeping up our appetites, even in times of stress!





P.P.S. I was talking to my daughter's father last night about my creating housing ideas.  He understands completely. He has converted his van into a camper van and has been living in it comfortably for the last two years.  And what occurred to me is AirBNB and family sleepovers is a good solution right now. I do not know what will be in the future for me. And I cannot afford to keeping coming up with outrageous deposits for apartments that I can barely afford and may not be in long.  If I plan a few AirBNB stays a week, strategically located in the area I am working, I do not have to worry about a deposit, or furniture.  And I can pay in advance a few days or a week.

I had actually considered the camper van scenario a few years ago. But since traffic has increased in Portland, I decided against it.  Walking and busing keep me peaceful.  Lord knows, I can't knit socks on the freeway!

My Prayer Socks - Knitted on the Max!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist