Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 221: Ninja Turtle Style!

I am struggling today.

Well, perhaps I should rephrase that: I am struggling at the moment.  Each day seems to have extreme highs, lots of middles and some lows.

In circle time at the music center, I draw three faces on the chalkboard.

☺️ = Yay! 

😐  =   Meh!

😠   = Bleh!

Then I ask who had a "Yay!" week, a "Meh!" week and a "Bleh!" week.  The kids love it and it's been a great ice breaker.  Some kids just don't always have fun and exciting things to share about their weeks.

If they say they had a "Bleh!" week, I'll ask them if they want to share. If they don't, I don't push them.

Today I wish I had a Teacher Zita to talk to me about my week.  My mostly "Bleh!" week!

I am finding myself increasingly alone in my challenges.  Especially this time of year. I know there are other people who aren't out there Ho Ho Hoing and Decking them Halls, but I feel alone in my misery.

Except I'm not really miserable. I have moments of profound sadness when I think about my son, but I thought I was helping by doing a lot of research here on the outside.

Not so. Apparently I am stressing everyone out around me.  He even called and asked me to chill out. I heard a new strength in his voice. So if I have to be the bad guy here to let my son grow up, so be it.

I should probably take my own advice and focus on the positive, keep my head up and keep busy.

But I want to curl up in a ball and cry for a long time.

I should probably take my own advice and pray like crazy. Suddenly my life seems impossible. One of my favorite verses in the Bible says, "For with God, nothing shall be impossible". (Luke 1:37 KJV)

Last night I played the piano in a lovely choir concert at the Community Music Center.  Something shifted for me yesterday. I usually get nervous before performances. My anxiety is not as severe as the stage fright of my youth. But it's still there.

Especially since I have not had much piano practice for the last year.  Caring for my granddaughter,teaching, spending time with my mother who is the caregiver for my ailing father, accompanying my son on his legal journey the past year, and now providing whatever support I can to him while he's incarcerated, and spending time with my new grandbaby...I am severely lacking in piano time!

Thankfully I play for church services every Sunday, and accompany two choirs a week.

Plus, yesterday was mostly unaccompanied ("a capella").  I just shadowed them light in the background to help them maintain pitch.

But I had been asked to play a piano solo. I played to lovely French Christmas carols and variations in a Baroque style.  Not very difficult. I had some angst the week before, because they seemed too simple for a solo.

But then, I realized it was a blessing.  I kept it simple in my perfomance. I actually lovingly embraced the simplicity. And I added an intro and an ending.  I didn't overplay.  In fact, I think I underplayed. And the audience responded enthusiastically!

I have also stepped back in my church playing. I think I have been overdoing it over the years. Wanting to make my music "art" and "worshipful". But instead, I think I have been calling attention to myself. No one seemed to mind a bit that I played much softer and in the background last Sunday. I am playing the "Holden Evening Prayer" service tonight for the second week of Advent.  Last week I got many comment on the lovely music. It was the night before my son was sentenced. I felt quite numb. I'm glad that didn't show in my music.

As I am typing my thoughts, I wonder if that is the center of my struggle. That I over do things. I over think them. Try to make everything perfect, fix things, make things into art.

Perhaps I should just fade into the background.  

But something inside of me says no.  I cannot imagine me sitting around watching television, or sitting back and saying everything is fine.

Perhaps I am annoying. But I love my family. I love my friends. I love pretty much everyone, except for when they are mean and then I want to go back into my turtle shell.

Perhaps I am a Ninja Turtle!  

I attack, defend and then retreat!

This is an insane post today. But I feel a bit better. I am going to try and get to the gym before the service tonight. And you know, I've missed my hooping sessions the past several days. I definitely feel more balanced when I hoop.

If you are a praying person, please keep my son in your prayers. 

And I will pray for you all! Ninja Turtle style!

Happy Wednesday!

Love,

Zita


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist