Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 227: Aloo Bonda, Cilantro Mint Chutney and a Blue Christmas


Oy, I didn't get up early enough to hoop yet again! My granddaughter has been getting up super early, lately and has not be sleeping well at night. I am going to set the alarm earlier tomorrow. Must hoop!

Luckily I went to the gym last night after the "Blue Christmas" service I played.

It was a lovely service. I prayed for my son and family the whole time. And at the end, when the choir director played a video of the re-enacted birth of  Jesus, with Josh Groba

n singing "O Holy Night" in the background, I felt hot tears streaming down my face. I tried to control them, since my tears are generally acidic.  Especially since I had one more piece to play on the piano. But it was no use.

After the video, I wiped my face and stood to hold hands with the small group as we prayed the Lord's prayer. By the time the pastor offered the benediction, I had myself under control.  I played my last piece while people were trickling out.

The Blue Christmas service is intended for people that are grieving some type of  loss over he holidays and need space away from all the "Ho-Ho-Hoing".

It was very healing for me, even though I was the church musician.

After service, I walked to the gym I belong to. That's been my new routine, especially since this is the month of many church services. It is a good routine. I usually spend time on the treadmill or stationary bike while catching up on the news, do a few weights and then an enormous amount of stretching.

Planet Fitness has a nice room designated for stretching with many  mats and the coolest contraption that I had never seen elsewhere. It looked like a jungle gym out of  "Mad Max Thunderdome".

I stretched myself every which way but loose.

Sorry for all the movie analogies. I just spoke to my son. He and his cell mate share the cost of renting movies on the inmate tablet. His cell mate sounds like a cool dude. I can hear in my son's voice that he is doing well. Coffee Creek is not the Hilton, but apparently the food is better than Inverness, and he is able to watch movies with his cellmate and read books when they are on lockdown, which is about 21 hours a day.

When they are allowed out, he can go out in the "yard" for fresh air, walk around, work out with the chin up bar, and grab another book.

I sent him two books from Amazon this week. He hasn't gotten them yet, but I know they have to go through the mailroom and be inspected.

He has been in Coffee Creek two weeks now.

This will be my first Blue Christmas without my son. But he is doing positive work for his future, and that of his family.  Perhaps it is a Baby Blue Christmas. Not dark, like navy blue.  We will survive.

I have not been big on the commercial aspect of Christmas ever.  This year I am actually happy to be busy doing Christmas music at a church.  And since I am more strapped for funds than usual, I am knitting presents for all my family members.

I also am still quite serious about my plant focused diet. This week I am making homemade Indian food, which consists of many lovely vegetarian dishes. I made homemade cilantro mint chutney this morning. It was gone in about 30 minutes. My daughter could not stop eating it. I also made fried "aloo bonda" which are mashed potatoes filled with onions, spinach and spices. I added bacon for the rest of the family. Then I coated them in gluten free panko crumbs and fried.  They were heavenly with the cilantro mint chutney. My daughter ordered some grocery to be delivered. I made sure she put mint and cilantro on her list.

Tonight I plan on making rice paper samosas.

I am still practicing intermittent fasting. I haven't lost anymore weight on the plant based regimen, but my head feels clearer.

On that note, I need to head out.

Happy Friday!

Love,

Zita




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i