Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 286: Zen Rose and Ninja Hope

 Hello Friends!


Let me tell you something about these baby girls. They are fraternal twins. The are non-identical, also called "fraternal".  I did a bit of reading about twins and found it quite interesting.

Even more fascinating is being a part of these babies lives from the very beginning!  They are twins because they were born at the same time. Female-female, fraternal, apparently also called "sororal" twins. Perhaps that is where the word "sorority" came from?

It was evident from the moment I met them when their mom and dad brought these little packages of joy home from the hospital, that they are completely different. They are essentially sisters born at the same time!

Rose was born first. She is larger than her sister. She is also very zen like. Easy to feed. Sleeps much more than her sister hope.  If Rose is zen-like, then I would have to say Hope is a ninja!

Hope fusses and fusses. Eats less, sleeps less and is awake more.  


Here are some pictures. Can you spot the difference between Zen Rose and Ninja Hope?






I am so looking forward to teaching these two piano lessons!  I have taught most of my family piano at various times in their lives.  My 3 1/2 granddaughter was exposed to music from day 1. We played one of my favorite albums "Walela" for her.  The Cherokee "Amazing Grace" was her theme song.

It warms my heart to hear my daughter put on this same album for Rose and Hope.  It is like coming full circle.  

My grandson, who I don't see as often as I would like - I wish I could clone myself - responds to music so naturally that I told my son and his wife that I am getting him a keyboard for Christmas. Every time I visit, I plan to give him a lesson!

Funny, when I was in college, I did not study music education. I was a piano performance major.  A pianist with debilitating stage fright. After I graduated, I ran away from the piano as fast as possible. I worked as a receptionist, a transcriptionist and a massage therapist. It wasn't until my daughter was a baby, that I gravitated back.

It was because of a small, neighborhood church.  I was invited to one of their potlucks. We met the sweetest group of mostly older people. They welcomed us warmly and with much yummy food!


When they heard I could play the piano, the pastor called and asked me if I would be their pianist.  I was thrilled and terrified all at once. But my work as a church pianist was what I need for my confidence to grow.  I got nothing but kind words from the congregation. And in that little church I learned to play from my soul.

I do not perform much anymore. The pandemic put an end to the choir I accompanied. But I hope that we will reconvene in the fall. I miss the people of the choir tremendously. I have always had such social anxiety, that I avoid gatherings. But this community is comfortable for me. Probably because we meet for a purpose.  And music is involved. And very little small talk involved. Plus when we give our concerts, much yummy food is involved!


Hmmm...do I sense theme here?


Speaking of food, I am back to intermittent fasting. I do not eat after 6. Only water and tea.  I like the feeling of waking up ravenous.


Anyway, I am getting ready to teach my evening piano students.  I am feeling very grateful to have stumbled into this profession. It suits me.  


Perhaps it wasn't a coincidence?


On that note, I bid you a happy Tuesday evening!

Talk soon.


Love,


Zita





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic