Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 290: Detachment Challenge - Starting Over Tomorrow. Pass the Chips.

 Hello Friends:


Yup, I failed the detachment challenge. Big time.  

It was like my weakness - potato chips. If I see a bag, I start to salivate. I tell myself I don't need them.  The salt makes me poofy, the carbs make me cranky and fat.  Plus, I don't like to feel like I have no self control. 


I have very little self control around potato chips. When I am in the same room with chips, especially plain old Lays potato chips, I have to do a lot of self talk. And it ends up like this. I walk past. I try not to make eye contact. Then I grab a small bowl and tell myself, "only 10".


Of course, then I grab another 10, then a handful, and then with a sigh of resignation, I grab the whole bag, a magazine with recipes and sit down and scarf that whole puppy up!


I am that bad. 


As I have been with attempting to detach myself from reacting to those I love. Detach myself from lecturing those I love. Detach myself from being hurt by those I love.


My boyfriend thinks that my potato chip addiction is peanuts (pun intended, I also have a small problem with Planter's Roasted Peanuts!) ain't nothin' compared to my addiction to losing my temper.


Arrggg....Is there any hope for me? 


At all?


Just a smidgeon?


Luckily my man, my boyfriend, my FIANCE, says he will love me unconditionally forever.


Do I even deserve this love? 


Especially when he is often the brunt of my well-intended, but totally unsolicited advice.


Sigh. I failed. I ate the whole bag of chips.  I lectured, I offtered unsolicited advice, I cried over the actions of a loved one, I let myself read into someone's motive without knowing the real story. My imagination is quite creative and most vivid when it comes to fabricating stories based on clues.


I am like CSI.  Only I'm really not that good at it!


Anyway, I am convinced this is an area of much needed change for me. So I am starting over again tomorrow.  And I am not going to binge tonight. Not on potato chips, unsolicited advice, lecturing or creating a crisis.


I am just going to be. Part of my healing lies in the present moment, where I have a hard time being. I spend way to much time worrying about the future and/or reliving and regretting the past.


But that is why I started this blog. To grow. 


Growth is often painful.


And this is like pulling my own teeth.


Luckily I am back to work. Summer term started this week. I have a whole new batch of piano students. Delightful kids.


Teaching makes me happy.


Caring for my grandkids makes me happy.


Hooping makes me happy.  The future is so unknown.  I think I'll just detach from it!


The past is dead and gone. Detach from it too!


I need to feel the freedom of the present moment. To let everything else go. And be free.


I am starting right now!

Happy Wednesday!


Love,


Zita






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...