Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 289: Detachment Challenge, Day 2 - Mistakes






Hello Again My Dear Readers!


Today is Day 2 of my "Detachment Challenge". It is not for the faint of heart, I am telling you!

I almost blew it several times this morning - all before 11 a.m.!

My daughter called me on one moment immediately.  She said I broke my challenge, but she gave it to me as a freebie. We were feeding my grandtwins.  They both nurse and then my daughter pumps breast milk so that her husband and I (and other friends and family who visit) can help here feed them. They are on a pretty strict schedule.

One baby takes her bottle and chugs it down like a sailor, burps, smiles and goes back to sleep. She is bigger than second baby who fusses, arches her back and doesn't take more than a few swigs before she spits up. (Yesterday, I fed her and was about to put her on my shoulder to burp her, when she sprayed practically her whole feeding of breast milk onto my face. Unfortunately my mouth was open.  Sorry for the tmi!)

Anyway, my daughter belongs to a twin mom support group. She has been researching this issue. I looked at her this morning and says, "You know, my mom - your Gma, says maybe you are eating too much garlic or spicy food and this one is more sensitive?"

At which point my daughter shot me a look of daggers. "Are you offering me unsolicited advice Zma?" she asked. "Because if so, you are breaking your challenge!"

"No! No!" I excalimed. "Those were my mother's words!"


She squinted her eyes at me and told me that I get this one for free, but be on my toes!

Early this morning, as I lay pondering this new level of thought, I thought of my piano students. I decided years ago, if I became a teacher, I would be kind, positive and supportive. I suffered much emotional music education abuse as a child and had extreme performance anxiety. I still have a bit, but mostly related to social situations.

Anyway, before recitals, I sit my students down and ask them how they feel about the upcoming performance. Many of them, especially beginners tell me they are afraid of messing up. 

I am always happy to hear them address this, because then I can tell them:

"Do not fear mistakes. We all make them! There is not a mistake bear who is hiding behind the piano waiting to growl if you play a wrong note! If fact, I always make a few mistakes when I perform ad very people in the audience can hear them! Because it is not the mistake, it is our reactions to the mistake that matter!"

Then we talk about ways we can react when we mess up:

  • Stop and correct the mistake.
  • Go back to the beginning and start again. I tell them this is totally acceptable in our recitals. We are at a music school and most of us are beginners. The audience is supportive and patient.
  • Keep going as if it was meant to be that way. (Best strategy!)

This morning, before the sun came up, as I lay in bed pondering, I had an aha moment!  Perhaps I should follow my own advice about mistakes!  I could stop right there and correct the mistake, or address the issue. I wish God gave us a do-over, but since we can't turn back time, perhaps the best reaction to our mistakes is to keep going. And not really as if it was meant to be that way. Hopefully we can learn from our mistakes, in a positive way.

Most profound! :)

I must say I feel good today. Pretty dang free, actually!  I have always desired inner peace and a feeling of freedom to be myself in this world. Perhaps I am finally on the right path!

Of course, I am still practicing my self love habits. I hooped today (video below). I have stuck to my 7 hour window of eating for the past 3 days. This way of eating (intermittent fasting) has been very successful for me. I give myself a day off now and then when I am out with my fiance or at a family function.  But then I get back on the IF train!  My eating window lately has been 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.  After that, copious amounts of water. 

When I do eat, I try to eat healthy, small meals. But I don't stress on it.  

This was today's breakfast:



I wake up feeling lighter, more refreshed and with a healthy appetite!

As far as my loved one in crisis, I am detaching with love. I love this person very much, but I need to take care of myself!

On that note, I am off to the gym and to visit my son, his wife and their little boy. More Zma time - best therapy of all!

Happy Saturday! :)

Love,

Zita



Note: Today is Day 330 of daily hooping.  My video is still uploading. I will post later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic