Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 288: Detachment Challenge, Day 1 - Like a Warrior!

Hi Friends! :) 

I took care of myself today. Well, mostly. 

I took care of myself after I spent the morning helping with my 1 month old (today!) grandtwins and my 3 1/2 year-old granddaughter. 

And after I worried incessantly about a loved one.  In my uniquely anxious, codependent way.

After all of that, I took care of myself by doing my hoop workout and then taking a nice long walk. It certainly was a beautiful day for a walk! 

I ran a few errands and then stopped at a little taco truck in the neighborhood, that  never seems to be open when I walk by.

But today was my lucky day! It was open, and I was allowed to eat my sumptious chorizo and carne asada tacos on their picnic bench.


I then texted my therapist and asked if he had a moment to talk or text. I told him I was struggling.  Indeed I was.

He answered promptly. He has been my lifeboat these past few years. Especially when we were locked down. He was my connection to the outside world and my own inner turmoil.

In one of my recent blogs I posted that there is no such thing as happily ever after.  There certainly is not! But I made it through a crisis today without melting down. This is a baby step forward for me.

I talked to him about my loved one in crisis.  My therapist, a friend and my own daughter suggested that the only crisis was the one I created in my reaction to the hurt I perceived coming from this person.

Ok.  The majority wins. I have always been overly sensitive and slightly depressed. I love to teach and help people. In fact, sometimes I think it is self serving. Because in doing so, I lift myself up.

And some folks don't want to be helped or "fixed".  I need to get that through my thick skull.

Years ago codependency was all the rage in the world of self help books. I read about it. I resonated with it. But  didn't really APPLY it.

Now I am learning about detachment. Funny thing about that word. It reminds me of a hilarious moment. In choir practice.  Years ago.  The director asked the choir if they knew the meaning of "staccato".  One member raised her hand and said, "Detached"?

One of the basses sitting behind me (I was their accompanist on the piano), immediately chirped, "Like what women always accuse men of!" 

Of course we all busted out laughing.

But I am not talking musical terms. I am talking about detaching myself from reacting to other's behaviors. From taking it personally. And last but not least, not trying to fix them.

In other words, minding my own beeswax!

Easier said then done for this overly sensitive Zma!

I found a lovely quote I'd like to share here. It is from an article on PsychCentral.com called "Codependencey and the Art of Detaching from Dysfunctional Family Members"

https://psychcentral.com/blog/imperfect/2017/04/codependency-and-the-art-of-detaching-from-dysfunctional-family-members


"According to codependency expert Melody Beattie, Detachment is based on the premises that each person is responsible for himself, that we cant solve problems that arent ours to solve, and that worrying doesnt help. (Codependent No More, 1992, page 60)

Detaching is a way off of the relationship rollercoaster. Detaching allows you to take care of yourself, honor your own feelings and needs, and let go of the guilt and shame that result from taking responsibility for other peoples bad choices."

I took some notes and will be pondering this for awhile. It seems like as I shed the worn, toxic layers from my wounded soul, I am finally reaching the roots.  

My therapist and I have had some "a-ha" moments lately.  We both feel I have made a ton of progress in my quest for inner peace, confidence and self-love.  We have talked about behaviors and mindsets. My childhood, my present and my dreams for the future.

Now we are reaching the why's.  One issue is abandonment. This is huge for me.  We will be working on this as well as the detachment/codependency trap.  And lastly on releasing fear.  Fear is such a big issue with me, and with so many people. Just typing that word makes my heart race.

F
E
A
R

Just four little letters. But they trigger me enourmously!

So as I grabbed some much needed solitude and me-time today, I pondered these things.  

Then I came home and played with my granddaughter in her kiddie pool and taught some piano.  

Doing what I love keeps the fear at bay.  Exercise - especially Qi Gong, Hooping and weights are essentially to my inner calm. Also deep breathing, praying, playing my piano, reading, talking with friends, hanging out with family and loved ones.

But that fear?

What I'd really like to do with that fear is crush it to pieces and scatter it into the wind. 

Like a warrior!

Some day.  But for now. Baby steps. 

And a challenge.  Suggested by my wise daughter. She said, "Zma, you love a challenge.  How about for 30 days, keep your opinions to yourself.  No suggestions unless someone asks your advice ". 


Challenge accepted!

Happy Friday! Day 1 of my Detachment Challenge!

Talk soon.


Love,


Zita 



PS Here is my latest hooping video!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic