Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 307: Unmasked and Fasted!


Hello Friends!

I am sitting in my favorite corner coffee shop, sipping a London Fog with oat milk and lavender.  

My face feels naked!  I am maskless.  And speaking of naked, you know those dreams where you wake up naked in a crowd of people - unnaked people?  Well, I have those dreams a lot!  I had a deja vu moment as I walked into my coffee shop and my favorite barista was wearing a mask. I felt - naked!

She told me she is being cautious.  It seems many people are. I see several people walking around the neighborhood with their masks. Perhaps it is human nature to resist authority.  Now that we've gotten used to masks, perhaps some people do not want to be told to take them off?


Not me! I'm ready to throw all of my  masks up in the air and then light them on fire!

Well, I will probably still wear mine on the bus.  In fact, my mother told me they will be still required on buses and in medical facilities.


It's all good. I am so happy to not have rummage through my purse everytime I enter an establishment looking for a lone mask.  


And I am super thrilled to teach without a mask! It has been difficult for me to convey support, encouragement and a smile behind my mask.  And that is who I am - an encouraging, positive teacher!


Plus, the masks made my nose itch like crazy.


I am feeling so good today.  This feeling of freedom that I mentioned yesterday persists.  Freedom from masks, freedom from cold, wet weather - it is beautiful and sunny this morning! A little chilly, but hey - it's still March!


My son and his family took a road trip yesterday to visit my daughter and her family in Idaho. I was praying like mad that they made it safely.  They did.  Now all of my grandchildren are in the same house!  I miss them terribly, but I am relieved that they are safe. And come to think of it, I am feeling even more free! My man and I plan on going out to lunch before I teach my afternoon students. Tonight I have a date with my daughter-in=law's mom. We are going out for a drink or two.  


I imagine if I were with my kids, they would say, "Hey, Zma. Watch all 5 kids while WE go out!"  

Not this weekend!  It's Zma free time!


Speaking of which, I survived my first ADF Fasting day.  Like a beast! I had less than 500 calories yesterday and did not suffer much at all!  I woke up feeling light and clear headed.


Today and tomorrow are feast days, or should I say normal eating days.  I think I will eat relatively healthy.  I don't want to get into some weird binge/fast cycle.


But I feel confident about this eating plan.  On a restrictive diet, I feel deprived and depressed. Like I am punishing myself for being fat and I can't enjoy food until I have lost weight. When the weight doesn't come off easily, I often give up.  


But on this alternate day fasting, I can live with a low calorie diet for one day, knowing the next day I can eat heartily if I wish!


I don't currently have a scale at home, but I feel lighter already! 


So yesterday, I had a cup of coffee with a splash of cream and sugar free caramel syrup for breakfast.


For lunch I had a "Smart Ones" frozen meal of chicken and broccoli, Oikos Greek yogurt, celery and a few apple slices. That was about 300 calories.



I packed a snack for work:  More celery, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter,  more apple slices, and water.

I felt a little hungry towards the end of the day, so I drank 1/2 of a Diet Coke.

That was it! I didn't starve to death and in fact, my energy is soaring this morning!

My boyfriend and I are heading to lunch soon. We're going to Buster's Barbecue, where I plan on having the Meat Salad!  Low carb is definitely my friend. 

I plan on hitting the gym for a quick workout before teaching.  

I will keep you posted on my progress!

Happy Saturday!

Love,

Zita




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 248: I G T J!

I got the job! I had such a good feeling when I went into the interview. Lovely little church, really cool pastor (She preaches without her shoes! My type of woman!) I'll be the church secretary. It is very part time. But it will give me a little financial stability so I can breathe a bit! I will have to alter my morning routine. Eh hem, read that as WAKE UP EARLIER! Which I have been attempting to do since I have been writing this blog. Ok. Since I have been alive! Not a morning person, am I!  :) I am so happy. Because yesterday morning, there were so many hurdles getting to the interview, that I said, "God, I'd better get this job after all I am going through!" And He answered my prayer. Thank You, God. You are so good! But about those hurdles... First, I found out a MAX train had derailed early in the morning, which caused delays system wide.  That put a cramp in my commute, since the shortest trip to the church was to hop on Max to the mall and