Skip to main content

Day 21: Dispelling the 21 Day Myth and Monday Stats

 
I set a 30 Day Goal to reach 199 by 06062015.  I am on track!




And now it's time for my Monday Morning Stats! 

Monday, June 1, 2015 STATS

Weight: 201 pounds
Neck: 15"
Chest: 47"
Upper Abs: 40.5"
Waist: 41"
Lower Abs: 47"
Hips: 48"
Thighs:  R 23", L 22.5"
Biceps:  R 14", L 13.5"

Results:  Lost 2 pounds.  Lost one inch from chest, 1/2 inch from upper abs, 2 inches from lower abs in a week.


I am so glad I didn't take my stats yesterday. It is interesting to me how much difference 24 hours makes.  I was puffed up like a giant marshmallow yesterday, aching, nauseated and tense.  Today I feel calm, just a little stiff and sore and the bloat is gone!  

Ok. Time to use some logic here.  I felt horrible after I ate salty fast food and salty junk food. And 2 root beers.  Plus it was hot and muggy. Today all the windows are open. A cool breeze is flowing through the house. And the smell of sweet refreshing rain is invigorating! :)  

I also had been removing wheat from my diet, but this last weekend, I ate some bread. It was partially as an experiment. I have not been diagnosed as gluten intolerant. I know I crave carbs. And it seemed like I felt better without eating wheat.  Also, I was just caving to emotional eating.

This week my focus will be on eating natural whole food. Low salt and avoid wheat and sugar.  And keep pounding the water!

Ok. So I was all pumped up about Day 21. I had read that it takes 21 days to establish a good habit. Apparently this is a myth! (Please read this article on HuffPost by James Clear: How Long Does It Actually Take to Form a New Habit? (Backed by Science))
 "There is no need to judge yourself if you can't master a behavior in 21 short days...you don't have to be perfect. Making a mistake once or twice has no measurable impact on your long-term habits. This is why you should treat failure like a scientist, give yourself permission to make mistakes, and develop strategies for getting back on track quickly.You have to embrace the process. You have to commit to the system...At the end of the day, how long it takes to form a particular habit doesn't really matter that much. Whether it takes 50 days or 500 days, you have to put in the work either way.The only way to get to Day 500 is to start with Day 1. So forget about the number and focus on doing the work."

Good advice here. I am in it for the journey. I am very proud of where I am now and looking forward to the next 21 days! :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist