Skip to main content

Day 45: Beating the Heat!

I guess we'd better get used to it. We are in for a hot summer.  Hotter than Al Pacino, I said on my Facebook page!

I like the rain. But as long as it is summer and we are in the midst of a heat wave, I am determined to rise above.

My daughter is working. A lot.  She usually gets up early, takes the dog out and waters her plants before getting ready for work.

I have been having a hard time getting up early. Since I don't usually have students until the afternoon, I tend to sleep until late morning.

But this won't work in the hot weather.

It really wasn't working for me before.  I feel like I oversleep. I hit that snooze alarm until the very last moment that I can get ready without rushing.

So I made a commitment to my daughter to get up early and water the plants, take the dogs out and do the dishes.  There. I've said it. I really try to honor my word.

This will benefit our household. Help take some stress off of my daughter. But ultimately, put me on track with my sleep schedule. I hope.

So today, I rose at 6:30.  Watered the plants. Dog had already gone out. So I did the dishes. Then I sat down and ate 1/2 grapefruit, drank a glass of water and read from my bible.   I felt very accomplished!

Then before I could go on the internet and get lost for hours, I put on my running shoes and out the door I went!  It was already in the 60's by then.  So I took off! I was planning on making a kale and mushroom vegetarian lasagne in the crockpot for dinner. So my plan was to walk the trail and then walk to Safeway for a few items and then bus it home.

I walked for awhile. I felt good. I am not as achy these days. I feel light and springy in my step! And calm. Peaceful.  There is an absence of anxiety.  But this alone isn't the peace I feel. It is the elusive "inner peace" I have been seeking and have only fleetingly experienced my whole life.  It has been with me for two whole days.  I like inner peace.

After about 20 minutes, I broke into a jog. I jogged 330 consecutive steps today.

I walked up to Safeway and purchased my items and then came home. Loaded up the crockpot. I plugged in my route on  I walked/jogged 2.19 miles today.

People, the lasagna smells divine!

After awhile I headed up to the library. I wanted to print some sheet music for my students, my mom and myself. It was my mother's birthday and 54th wedding anniversary yesterday.  We are having a dinner for her Sunday. She requested chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans. My mom is from Texas. LOL.  I will have to run an extra hour after I eat that dinner!

I talked to my mom yesterday. She sounded happier than usual.  And my mom is generally a very optimistic, bubbly person. My grumpy old dad had taken her out for breakfast and lunch and then had surprised her with some beautiful jewelry. In all the time I've known them (53 years), I have never seen my dad be even slightly romantic.

I guess it is never too late for positive change. Right?

Which is exactly why I started to blog. And to run. And work on my eating and health habits.

I am not really so afraid of getting older, as long as I am always growing.  Growing wiser, stronger, kinder and closer to God.

But for now, I feel a siesta coming on. After that, I am seriously considering going up to the gym and working chest/triceps.  I ride public transportation.  Portland has stellar public transportation. With air conditioning.  Yup. A ride up to the gym might be in order.  Then a good piano practice session...But first, a nap!

Happy Thursday! :)


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 134: The Charmed Life of a Commuting Grandma

I just discovered that the Starbucks at Cascades Station stays open until 10:00 p.m. every night.

Just when I was wanting to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Being a commuting grandma really is not that difficult. Actually, my life pretty much rocks right now!

Today has been a very good day. And I had maybe 3 hours of solid sleep last night. The Burrito has decided she likes to sleep cuddled in the arms of her Great Grandma Blanche or Grandma Zita during the day. Or snuggled safe in her infant seat while her mom, grandma and great grandma go out to lunch, do laundry and go shopping.

I warned my daughter that the
Baby Burrito needed some awake time yesterday. Or else we would pay for it in the evening. But getting so much done with a snoozing baby in tow was so freeing. Especially since Baby Burrito's dad is elk hunting all weekend.

We finally roused her for a bath, diaper change and piano lesson early afternoon.

Baby Burrito had a fantastic first piano lesson. At…

Year Two, Day 288: I Found a Place!

This is truly amazing.

God is so good.

All the time!

I posted on Facebook my housing plight yesterday afternoon. And so many of my wonderful friends had helpful suggestions. Several offers for roommates came in.  But most of them so far from my work.

Then, I was heading home after teaching and just felt the need to sit and think.  Of course sitting and thinking go so much better with a cheeseburger on a rice cake, and what do you know...there I was getting off the bus in from of a McDonald's!

So I ordered a quarter pounder with cheese, ditched the bun and plopped it down between two rice cakes (I always carry emergency rice cakes in my bags these days).

I opened up Facebook and found a message from the pastor at my church job. She and her family have a room in their basement that they have been wanting to rent. But they were hesitant to put up an ad. They preferred knowing the person.

And here I am!  This is a blessing in so many ways! I will help them by paying rent and being a p…

Year Three, Day 156: Thank God for COPD and 120 Days of Daily Hooping

10:00 a.m.

Today has been a very good day so far.

I am here at my daughter and son-in-law's church.

I have Baby Gracie duty. It is a pleasure! I had not seen her in four days. Such a difference those days made! I arrived at their trailer before church. I went straight to her crib and said,"Hi Gracie, your grandma is here!"

I scooped her up and noticed her looking intently up at my face. Like she was studying me. I continued talking to her and her face lit up with recognition!

My heart leapt for joy!

I danced with her around the living room, softly singing our theme song ("The Bunny Hop"). When I got to the "hop, hop, hop" part she would grin.

Earlier, I took the Max to Cascades Station. Had a cup of Earl Grey tea and a gluten free breakfast sandwich at Starbucks. It was such a beautiful morning. Clear, crisp and chilly. Sun shining brightly.

I love this time of year!  I did cough quite a bit last night. The Prednisone has taken the edge off, but does …