Skip to main content

Day 31: Looking forward to "Onederland!"


Weightcommander screen shot. I am 200 today! My new 30 day goal is 195 by July 11th!


I am doing so well on this intermittent fasting.  I think maybe, perhaps, possibly I am an all or nothing type person?  I asked my daughter this earlier. I can see her nodding her head and smiling, "You are, Mom!"

So I haven't eaten anything since yesterday at 6:00 p.m. I've been drinking extra water.  I feel wonderful!

I put together a breakfast casserole at the request of my son-in-law. I made it last night and put it in the fridge. This morning at 6:00 a.m. I pulled it out and baked it. Smells heavenly. Eggs, mushrooms, green chiles, olives, hashbrowns on the bottom as a crust. Top sprinkled with a bit of cheese and olives. After my run I will have a slice!

But I've just been drinking water this morning. I'm going to go for my run on an empty stomach. From what I've been reading about fasting, ketosis and weight loss, the body is forced to burn fat instead of the carbs you recently ingested if you workout on an empty stomach. Of course, one needs to use caution here and not overdue it. Lest one pass out! But I imagine this is more for wizened athletes or people without much excess body fat. I think I am fine. And remember, when I say "run" it is really just a brisk walk with a few bouncy jogs thrown in for good measure.

So I hopped on the scale this morning. 200 lbs!  It's been a long time since I've been less than a deuce!

I've been hearing the word onederland in weight loss talk.  I Googled it and it was a term made popular by Jared from the Subway commercials according to the Urban Dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Onederland


Yesterday was a good day in Salem.  I really enjoy the bus ride down.  I did some reading on my Kindle. Then I pulled out my bible.  Back around Advent time, I had committed to reading the entire bible cover to cover this year. I got as far as Isaiah and got a little distracted with my life. I have read most of the bible in books, chapters, verses.  But never cover to cover. So I finished Isaiah yesterday and started in on Jeremiah.

When I got to Portland last night, I sat at a bus stop with about a 12 minute wait.  Again I pulled out my bible. It was such a beautiful night. Much cooler than the night before. Peaceful downtown - not many people out.  A young man approached and asked about the bus arrival time. I told him. He sat by me. After a few minutes he glanced over and asked, "Are you reading the Word?"

"Yes", I replied.  I don't usually read my bible in public. I was pleasantly surprised. He was young - late teens, early 20's, hipster clothing.  He told me he was also reading Jeremiah. And we had such a lovely discussion!  What a great way to end the day!

But there is so much more....perhaps on a different post.  For now, Happy Thursday! :)

Zita

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist