Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 117: Faith in Human Nature - Restored!

Today we had a yard sale.

 It started out to be rather chilly and drizzly. My daughter and I had planned on getting up at the crack of dawn, putting up signs, hauling out our items, pricing them and setting up shop. But we woke up to grey skies and drizzle. We looked at each other and almost simultaneously said, "Gym!"

It was like getting an unexpected day off! We spent about an hour at the gym. We did incline intervals on the treadmill.I was wearing an ab belt. I was sweating so much after our workout that the belt was drenched.

After the gym we headed home to meet my parents for lunch. I had stayed up late the night before making deviled eggs and potato salad. My mom brought salmon spread, chip, and spam sandwiches. It had been years since I had a spam sandwich. This lunch was the ultimate in comfort food.

Good thing we had worked out before lunch!

As we were eating, the sun burst through the clouds and the rain stopped.

So we put up our signs, set up shop and waited for customers.

I must admit, we did not make that much money today, but what we did acquire was more valuable. We got to know some of our neighbors. The Vietnamese family that I tutor in English came down. They met my daughter and son-in-law.

These people are so precious. They looked at everything with childlike wonder. They left with their treasures thanking us. But we were blessed by their presence.

Also, the large Hispanic family next door has many children, mostly boys. One was very interested in computers. He came over several times to rummage through our free boxes and ask questions.

Then the lady up the street came by with her dogs. They visited for a bit. Honey Dog was ecstatic to have friends over. The new couple next door came out with their little one year old son. And two teenage girls stopped by several times to look at the clothes. After we brought it all in, I was starting to make dinner, when I heard a knock on the door. It was the two teenage girls asking if the boxes in our driveway contained free items.

 They told me they wanted to make sure it was free before they started to rummage through.

That touched my heart.

Overall a good day.

My faith in human nature has been restored!!

Happy Saturday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i