Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 119: Shaking of the Tail Feathers

Precious baby calf

CCR Cover Band!

My daughter and son-in-law had been planning to go to the Oregon State Fair today. They had an extra admission ticket and invited me.

At first I declined. My daughter gave me her look and asked me what important thing I had to do today.

"Lots of things," I blurted. "Laundry, the gym, piano practice, blog..."

She rolled her eyes at me. "You do that everyday.

I poured a cup of coffee and pondered. I realized, of course that she was right.

So I went to the fair!

We had a blast!

I ate fairly reasonably- pineapple chicken, peach smoothie, corn on the cob and a coconut popsicle.

Oh, and then there was the handful or two caramel corn, but I ate that really fast so it doesn't count right?

The highlight was the live concert. The CCR cover band played all of Creedance Clearwater Revival tunes. And we found out two members of the band were from the original band! The drummer and the bass player, who were both 71! And dude, they rocked!

I jumped to my feet when"Bad Moon Rising" started. And I didn't sit back down until after the encore.

 I danced that caramel corn right off, baby!

I haven't had that much fun in many moons- good and bad moons!

I also loved seeing all the farm animals.

 Especially the goats and llamas.

I do need to get out more often. And shake my tail feathers!

Happy Labor Day! :)


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…