Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 346: Awkward Me

For an introverted, socially awkward woman, I have had quite a social weekend!

Yesterday, it was breakfast with the family and a chamber music concert I performed in.

Today, it was church followed by a women who worked at Mercedes Credit Corporation reunion luncheon.

I had not seen most of these women for over 25 years!

After church, as I started out to the restaurant we were to be meeting at, my heart started thudding.    I was more nervous about this lunch, then getting on stage and performing. But I was not going to back out. I really wanted to see my friends.  Thankfully, one of my best friends was there. I met her on the job over 30 years ago. I only worked with these ladies for 3 years or so, but have always kept in touch with my good friend. She has been the bridge to my keeping up with them. Well, her and Facebook.

I enjoyed myself, despite the thudding heart. Yes, I was a little awkward. But I always am. However, we promised to meet more regularly and include more of the gang. The interesting thing is, as we were sharing memories, how one person would mention something I had completely forgotten. Which would trigger one of my memories. It was like a group memory exchange. Synapses were firing all around! Plus, it was actually really interesting finding out where life had taken us all over the last quarter of a century!

My good friend bought me a little figurine to honor my new Grandma status. It is the sweetest little thing. I think I shall bring her with me to my church job tomorrow and put her on  my desk.




I think part of my nerves, besides my usual social anxiety, is that I really didn't like who I was back then.  Most insecure was I - even more than I am now!  I didn't have a really sense of who I was or where I was going.

Do I now?  A little.  My faith in God is strong. My connections to  my family, even though a little frayed, are strong. The love is definitely there.  And I truly are interested in other people, once I get past my own insecurities. 

Back then, I had my looks.  I guess now I have my heart.

I needed to calm myself after lunch, so straight to the library I came!  Walking in the doors, I exhaled. I feel at home here.

And the DVD I was excited about was waiting for me in the "holds" section. I put "The Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency - Complete First Season" on hold.  I am most excited! This will be a nice treat for me to unwind after my most social weekend.



But lo and behold, as I logged onto my computer I heard a familiar voice. I looked up and saw a man I dated briefly from a church I attended years ago. He was on a computer with his wife. Unfortunately I stared. I mistook them for a couple at my current church. She looked up and recognized me and came over to greet me.  It was a relief really.  She is a lovely woman. I dated him briefly before they were engaged. He and I were quite awkward.  I really am an awkward person. I do not know how to be otherwise.

Awkward is also a very awkward word!  Awkward to say, and the more I look at it on the screen, the more, well awkward it looks!


I guess I can just accept and love myself, awkwardness and all.  What else can I do? It would be a very boring world indeed if we were all the same.

When I was younger, I tried to conform. It was not as difficult then. Because I could look the part.  Dress in trendy clothes.  Do the hair - "big hair" was the trend back in the day.  I was pretty good at acting the part.

But part of my journey of self fulfillment is shedding the outer layers. I think I shared on this blog some time ago, that I am like an onion.  I am shedding off the rough papery layers to find my soul underneath.

Still peeling off layers.  But in the process, sometimes I find layers I had forgotten about, or had buried in shame.

Hopefully by the time my granddaughter is born, I will be down to my authentic self. Ready to welcome a new life.

And ready to embrace my new role in the family and my new name, "Grandma Zita".






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i