Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 347: "D" Day

I was so touched by some of my lady friend's comments on Facebook after I shared my blog yesterday about my introversion and social awkwardness.  Two of them also said they were also introverted, but there was "nothing wrong with that!" My heart was really warmed.

It occurred to me, after a bit of pondering that 30+ years ago, when we all worked together, we would often hit happy hour after work. And I would inevitably consume too much alcohol in order to "loosen up".  We had some wild times. I cannot remember much of those times. But what I do recall is the hangover the next day. To our credit, I don't think we missed work. We just all crawled in and groaned and moaned and commiserated together. Someone would always go on a cheeseburger and fry run.  That seemed to be best remedy.

I no longer drink.  At least not to that extent. Maybe a glass of red wine or a beer occasionally.

But I am proud to say that I enjoy being healthy and sober.  I have come a long way!

Yesterday I was tempted to throw back a few drinks in order to feel comfortable. But the sensible me told me not to. Sometimes we learn more about ourselves in the midst of our discomfort.

Plus, I had plans to get together with my niece and grand-niece later.  Would not be a good role model to show up plastered!

So, I am feeling good about my socializing yesterday. And I am looking forward to our next get together.

Today was lunch with family day.  Only my daughter and I showed up. Oh, and my baby granddaughter was present, in utero.  :)  It was a very nice lunch.  I rarely get time with just my daughter. I treasure it. It is refreshing to just say exactly how we feel and to pick on each other (in a loving way of course!)


Today was also "D" day.  Monday afternoon is the day I see my new favorite bus driver.  His name is "D".

I am not going to jinx this by making too much of it, but we had a really nice visit today.  Our conversation flows easily. A bit of flirtation mixed with some friendly banter. He seems genuinely interested.  And I am slightly interested back.

Whatever happens, this is very enjoyable.  It took me 55 years to learn how to get to know a man of the male species.  Perhaps there is hope for me yet?

And p.s., I snuck a look at his left hand. No wedding ring!

But again, I am not attached to any outcome with this encounter.  He just puts a smile on my face.

And I will leave it at that!

Happy Monday!

I am feeling the spirit of "joy" today!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Zita







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i