Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 348: Joe Btfsplk

Today was a blue day.  I couldn't shake the feeling that a cloud was over my head. I seem to remember a cartoon character that walked around with a cloud over his.

Be right back. Going to consult Google.

I was right!  The character's name was "Joe Btfsplk" from the comic strip "Li'l Abner" by Al Capp. According to Wikipedia, Joe Btfskplk "is well-meaning, but is the world's worst jinx, bringing disastrous misfortune to everyone around him. A small, dark rain cloud perpetually hovers over his head to symbolize his bad luck." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Btfsplk

While I don't believe I bring bad luck to everyone around me, I hope I didn't bring doom and gloom to people I made contact with.  I try really hard to keep my dark cloud to myself.

I think I blogged about the one time, there REALLY WAS a rain cloud over ONLY MY HEAD!

It was a few years back when I lived in a house off of Belmont. I rented the basement of a lovely Victorian house from the family of one of my students. I loved the neighborhood.  I would walk up to the Fred Meyer's on Hawthorne almost on a daily basis, to get fresh produce. They have one of the best produce sections in town.

One day I was walking back and I felt it begin to rain. Thankfully I had my umbrella with me. I put it up. But I noticed no one else had their umbrellas up. In fact, no one else was getting rained on! Now, you must understand, the Hawthorne district is a heavy walking area. Many people were out. But I was the only one with an umbrella up. And as I looked around, I was the only one getting rained on! I looked up and saw a little dark rain cloud, right over my head! 

A young man walked past me and looked at me oddly. I looked at him and said, "Do you notice that I am the only one who is getting rained on?"

He raised his eyebrows, nodded and rushed off.

Shortly after he departed, my little rain cloud moved on.

But I will never forget that. It made me laugh, it was so random and comical!

It put a smile on my face just now. So perhaps my imaginary rain cloud is lifting.
My friend from choir who drives our carpool confided in me tonight that he was feeling gloomy. This man is one of the most optimistic, extroverted people I know. He is a retired attorney. Our rides to and from choir practice Tuesday night are always animated, mostly with his stories. Which I thoroughly enjoy.

He entertained us again tonight as usual, but his words stuck in my head.  He said he usually doesn't complain, but he is fed up with the rain.

I feel the same way. I used to brag about enjoying rainy days. My head would feel clear. I could focus.

But not this year.  My allergies have been horrendous, my energy low and my moods hover around the blue and feeling of impending doom.

Sigh.  But we cannot control the weather can we?

I know what I need to do. What I did not do this morning.  I need to wake up early and exercise.

And so I am declaring right here to my sweet readers, as my witness, that I am going to do everything in  my power tomorrow morning to resist the snooze and keep the dark rain cloud away!

I can use my  morning coffee as the dangling carrot.  Because, Lord knows I am not above bribing myself!

So rather than wallow in my misery, I am going to knit a few rows on my granddaughter-to-be's baby blanket. (I am working on a lemon yellow and cream colored blanket. The circular needles my friend recommended are much easier to work with!)




And then I think I will pop in a Seinfeld episode and hit the hay!

Here's to kicking dark rain clouds out of the park!

Happy Tuesday!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Hopefully more cheerfully!

Zita :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist