Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 73: I Wish I Were a Turtle

I had a dark night last night.

Instead of getting out of bed, I just wanted to pull the covers over my head this morning.

How I long to be a turtle. To have a hard shell protecting you from the outside world, and a safe place to retreat when things look dangerous.

I have been following the Republican National Convention.  I have been listening to talk radio. I was getting lured into all the hype and drama.

My heart was racing. My head pounding. I felt sick to my stomach.  But I was not bored! I was engaged.   I felt like I was on a rollercoaster. It was like a drug.

And I am ready to stop.  Perhaps this morning was the beginning of withdrawal symptoms.

I have had enough.  Stop the ride. I am getting off. I have a real life here that I seem to be ignoring.

As difficult as it is, I am turning off the television and the radio.  I am doing one quick check in on Facebook to check on family and friends.

Then I am going back to the business of living my life.

I am registered as a Democrat, but not sure that is where I stand anymore.  I seem to be leaning a bit more right lately. On some issues.

But I resent being pulled into the hate speech. The more people have slammed Trump and spewed hate, the more I have softened toward him. I have always cheered the underdog. But in my heart I know this is not the way to choose a candidate.

Both the left and right say the other candidate is the worst ever for our country. But what country do they speak of? Will any of this really effect the life of my loved ones and I?

We are the working poor.  Emphasis on working. I have never lived off of welfare, even as a single mother with very little child support. Not sure it that was pride or stupidity. But we survived.  I believe everyone should contribute to society. Is that a right wing or left wing notion?

All I know is that as I open up my email box this morning and delete all the pleas for contributions to help fund campaigns of the elite, I am less focused on politics, than on trying to decide if I should walk to the store with my granny grocery cart, cough up $2.50 for a bus ticket, or ride my bike.

I am almost 55. I am tired. My bones hurt. My heart hurts. I have a family. I have piano students.

As much as I would like to get involved in the political mania that is sweeping this country, I am finding I need to back out and take care of myself and the people I love.

While we watch the media glamorize politicians spewing hateful words at each other, the police in our city are preparing to clear the Springwater Trail in my neighborhood of over 500 homeless people who have been camping there for months.

I no longer walk the trail every morning like I did last year.  I feel vulnerable. There are people living on the trail, garbage piled up. There have been fights and there have been fires.

My compassion is with these people, trying to survive, but to destroy our beautiful trail?

I do not know where they will go.  Do the homeless care about this presidential election?  Will they even vote?





The above photos are mine, taken a few weeks ago.  Go to this article to read about the clean up and see how much worse it is now:

http://www.kgw.com/news/report-mayor-to-halt-homeless-camping-on-springwater-trail/274324333

How I wish we lived in a world where every life mattered.  We are not there yet, obviously.

I want to be involved in the world. I want to care. I want to help bring about change.  But right now I am going to walk to the grocery store with my granny cart and buy some groceries. Then I am going to walk home and make a gluten free apple crisp in my crockpot.

Then I am going to ride my bike to work and teach children how to play the piano.

And I am not going to say hateful things about anyone.

Maybe that will be my contribution today.

Happy Thursday


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 248: I G T J!

I got the job! I had such a good feeling when I went into the interview. Lovely little church, really cool pastor (She preaches without her shoes! My type of woman!) I'll be the church secretary. It is very part time. But it will give me a little financial stability so I can breathe a bit! I will have to alter my morning routine. Eh hem, read that as WAKE UP EARLIER! Which I have been attempting to do since I have been writing this blog. Ok. Since I have been alive! Not a morning person, am I!  :) I am so happy. Because yesterday morning, there were so many hurdles getting to the interview, that I said, "God, I'd better get this job after all I am going through!" And He answered my prayer. Thank You, God. You are so good! But about those hurdles... First, I found out a MAX train had derailed early in the morning, which caused delays system wide.  That put a cramp in my commute, since the shortest trip to the church was to hop on Max to the mall and