Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 74: The Realm of Certainty

I crashed through my wall yesterday.

My wall of despair, gloom, pain and fatigue.

I remember the moment when the smoke cleared. So I need to blog about it before the realization dissipates.

I rode my bike to the music center yesterday.  I remember as I packed my belongings in my little basket, attached to my bike, strapped on my helmet and pushed off, I felt a rustle of a breeze in my hair. And a bit of relief from my doom and gloom state of mind.

I kept riding, pushing a little harder than usual.  I broke a sweat.

But I still felt weighed down.

I taught my first class.  I love my students.  I felt a bit better.

Then I took a walk on my break.  Had an iced tea. I had some time before my next class, so I began working on a piece of music that I will be recording for one of my customers.  This is when the fog began to lift. I got really immersed in what I was doing. 

I forgot about everything else.  It felt so good to be focused on an activity. And no words were involved.

With language, there is always a bit of uncertainty. Words can have more than one meaning. There can be a level of of deception of manipulation behind words.  Like what we are seeing in this political campaign. No matter how much I read, listen to talk radio, or watch media coverage, I am never certain beyond a reasonable doubt that what I am seeing hearing and learning is actual reality.

It is disturbing. And it is messing with me on an emotional and now physical level.

But with the business of note reading and teaching note reading there is fact.  That note you see on the first line in the G clef will always be the E above middle C. I do not need to persuade you. I do not need to yell at you. I do not need to say anything hateful about anyone.

It is an E.

Suddenly I was starting to feel the glimmer of my inner peace returning.

My next class was a small group of 7 year old boys. Yesterday there were only two of them. Pretty rambunctious, but enthusiastic about piano.  I told them if they would stop the sillies we could play a fun game.

They did. And I told them we would play the "animal game".  I created this out of desperation years ago as a reward for unruly students. They think of an animal, and create a piece of music on the piano. No right way. No wrong way. Can be random sounds. They can use the "sound effects" settings on the digital pianos. We guess what animal their piece is about. Whoever guesses correctly gets to have the next turn.

But yesterday one of the boys said he wanted to create a piece about Halloween.  One of the other boys wanted to create a piece about "The Dark Ages". LOL

So we did.

Mine was about a princess in a castle.
One boy's piece was about a "ghost in a castle that scared children and ate all of their candy"
The other boy's piece was about a warrior.

They guessed mine. First guess.  Then we guessed "War" for the one about the warrior. And I guessed and "evil ghost" about the other boy's piece.

We were practically spot on. No words.  Just the language of music.

And my inner peace grew.

My dismay, doom and gloom lately may be partially due to my Eeyore personality.  It may be partially due to overeating to compensate for insecurity, fear and depression.  It may be also due to the realm of uncertainty that we have entered in this era.

 So today, I woke up and focused on the parts of my life that were solid and certain. I taught some students.  I made some phone calls concerning doctor's appointments.

I am blogging. And then I will go teach more students.

And then I will go to the gym.

I feel really good today.  Like a load has lifted!

I do know that I need to play more music. For some reason I have been avoiding my piano lately. I will not question why, but I think we need to reunite.

I also discovered a trick for my insatiable appetite while on the road teaching.

The bulk bins at Fred Meyer's.

I forgot to pack a lunch today. So I stopped at the store before my first student.

Instead of grabbing something from the deli, or prepackaged, I headed to the bulk bins.  I noticed they had freeze-dried okra!  I put seven pieces in a little bag. They also had dark chocolate covered coconut bites. I read the ingredients. Very few ingredients. No wheat.  The okra came to $.42 and were very tasty. They are as light as air, so hence the price.

The chocolate coconut was a nice treat. Tasted sinful, but not too bad in moderation.  I grabbed an unsweetened iced tea to wash it all down.

I feel lighter today in many ways. Including my belly bloat.

I have a new trick up my sleeve and renewed resolve to focus on what matters.

At least in  my little world.

Happy Friday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic