Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 66: Room Service- Streets of Portland



These pictures hardly do the scene justice. This is what I saw yesterday morning on the way to Union Station to take the Amtrak down to Salem.

The street in front of the Greyhound Station was literally packed with bodies. Sleeping bodies. I had to step over them to get to my destination.

While I was picking my way through the bodies and belongings, I noticed two security guards, or were they police officers? I didn't want to stare... Smiling young men in uniform.  It was like we were at the Hilton. Or perhaps a Motel 6.

The young men were walking around giving wake up calls.

They stood over the sleeping folks and said, "Good morning! Time to wake up and move along now".

Funny thing is, no one budged.

On my way home last evening, the campers had returned. They were already getting their bedding ready for a nice summer's night sleep.

Good to know. The way rent is rising in Portland, worse case scenario, I could have a room with a view and a wake up call in the morning. I wouldn't have to worry about being late for work!

Sarcasm aside, this really bites.

I am increasingly dismayed with the state of our country. The cost of living. Homelessness.The upcoming presidential election is nauseating. The money wasted is despicable especially considering the UNpopularity of either candidate.

The media sensationalizes violence, racism, terrorism.

All the while we are bombarded by incessant advertising that pressures us to spend more money than most of us earn. The internet was created to make our lives more efficient. But it has become a national addiction.

Maybe it is just me, or just the city I live in, but there is a big disconnect between what I see in my daily life and what I see on television and the internet.

I do see apathy. Distraction. Especially with electronic devices.

But I also see raw human kindness.

I had a homeless man help me remove the lock to my bike when it broke a few weeks ago. A whole neighborhood got together and helped get a boy the emergency care he needed when he was hit by a car a few days ago.  I had an outpouring of love and prayer on social media when my son was assaulted and landed in the ER with a concussion on July 4th. Prayers from people that I assumed were not even believers.

Bus drivers talk to me about their days.  Daily small acts of kindness - doors held open, people stepping aside so I can ride my bike with groceries in the basket, wobbling on by. People of all genres riding peacefully on the bus together.

Then again, the trail I used to walk daily has been taken over by permanent "campers".  There is a lot of trash strewn under bridges. Panhandlers on most street corners. Side note: You do not have to give them a dime. But a smile and a wave does not hurt. I say hello to the amputee who sits with his dog in a wheelchair every day under the 205 bridge. I see him look down sadly when his waves are ignored or worse, when he is glared at haughtily by people in brand new, shiny SUV's.

I do not know what the answer is, but I hope to become more involved. And I hope that as awareness grows, people do what is ingrained in most of us...band together for the common good.

That is my rant for today.

I am now stepping off of my soapbox to work off some steam at the gym.

Happy Thursday!

Think good thoughts. And send some my way!

Zita

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 248: I G T J!

I got the job! I had such a good feeling when I went into the interview. Lovely little church, really cool pastor (She preaches without her shoes! My type of woman!) I'll be the church secretary. It is very part time. But it will give me a little financial stability so I can breathe a bit! I will have to alter my morning routine. Eh hem, read that as WAKE UP EARLIER! Which I have been attempting to do since I have been writing this blog. Ok. Since I have been alive! Not a morning person, am I!  :) I am so happy. Because yesterday morning, there were so many hurdles getting to the interview, that I said, "God, I'd better get this job after all I am going through!" And He answered my prayer. Thank You, God. You are so good! But about those hurdles... First, I found out a MAX train had derailed early in the morning, which caused delays system wide.  That put a cramp in my commute, since the shortest trip to the church was to hop on Max to the mall and