Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 67: Soothing the Soul

Yesterday was a very good day.

My son says he feels "almost 100% recovered". We celebrated in our true family nature by going out for Pho.



Pho feels very healing. Maybe it is the nutrient rich broth. Maybe the rice noodles. The flavorful meat. Perhaps the fresh herbs and sprouts. Of course then there are the special sauces we dunk our meat in.

And the history we have in our family going back over 20 years when I first discovered the first Pho restaurant in Portland on a lunch break.

Whatever. It is yummy! All the kids in our family are pho-o-holics!



After lunch, I headed to the grocery store. I was making stuffed green peppers for lunch. Another family favorite. I loaded them up and put the in the crockpot and headed out to teach piano lessons.

 They were done and wonderfully succulent by the time I got home.

I also filled my other crockpot with peeled slice apples, lemon juice, a bit of sugar and water. Cooked them all day on low. We were rewarded with homemade applesauce last night!

My son-in-law had gotten bushels of apples for a steal at one of the fruit stands. He plans on using the overripe ones to lure the deer when he goes out bow hunting. But he still had several pounds left for my applesauce.


Speaking of the son-in-law, I am so proud of him. He landed a fantastic job. He will start next week.

Things are looking up.

So I thought.

Then I heard the breaking news about the latest terrorist attack in Nice, France.

Heart breaking and terrifying!

I was also dismayed that I saw very little news about it before I went to teach. The most talked about thing on social media was that new Pokemon game. Many pictures of people walking around looking at their iPhones, hoping to "catch" a Pokemon.

While people are dying in the streets in France. Sigh. I know we are bombarded by tragedy daily.  But I make it a point to stop, become informed, pray and care.

Today for lunch I had pho again. I am feeling a little ragged. I think mostly emotionally.  The pho soothes my weary soul.  Plus some bible verses.  My son-in-law recommended Colossians. 

This passage spoke to me today:
Colossians 3: 1-3

Put On the New Self

"If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God."

While I was at lunch, I glanced at the television screen above the counter.  Breaking News.  I almost looked away.  But I am honoring my calling. To be informed, to pray, to care, to act if needed.

There is a military coup happening in Turkey.  It sounds pretty extreme. The government has blocked social media. Can you imagine that happening here? We are so dependent on our social media!


This is an unfolding story. And I need to unfold myself and go teach piano.  This I can do.  And it is another thing that soothes my soul:  Music. Especially when I can help bring joy to another person by teaching them how to release the music in their souls!
 
Happy Friday!

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 248: I G T J!

I got the job! I had such a good feeling when I went into the interview. Lovely little church, really cool pastor (She preaches without her shoes! My type of woman!) I'll be the church secretary. It is very part time. But it will give me a little financial stability so I can breathe a bit! I will have to alter my morning routine. Eh hem, read that as WAKE UP EARLIER! Which I have been attempting to do since I have been writing this blog. Ok. Since I have been alive! Not a morning person, am I!  :) I am so happy. Because yesterday morning, there were so many hurdles getting to the interview, that I said, "God, I'd better get this job after all I am going through!" And He answered my prayer. Thank You, God. You are so good! But about those hurdles... First, I found out a MAX train had derailed early in the morning, which caused delays system wide.  That put a cramp in my commute, since the shortest trip to the church was to hop on Max to the mall and