Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 78: Mourning Sickness

True confession time.

I am and have always been an emotional person.  I get teased a lot. Especially from my children.  If we are watching a movie together and a moment of sadness or even joy comes on, they all look at me.

Inevitably I am sniffing and dabbing my eyes. They laugh at me and say something like,

"Mom, it is only a movie"!

I have actually prided myself on my emotional depth. Yes, I consider it depth. Not weakness. I feel like I have a capacity to feel deeply. To empathize. And to "follow my gut".


But lately my stomach hurts almost constantly.  It seems daily we are horrified by acts of senseless violence.  I wake up in the morning with a sick feeling.  And I am past childbearing age so it is not morning sickness.

I believe it is mourning sickness.

And this is not a movie. 

Mourning the loss of innocent lives at the hands of what I can only comprehend as pure evil.

If you are a Christian, it is hard to deny this looks like the "End Times".

Here is a passage from the bible about recognizing the time of the end is near:

2 Timothy 3:1-5 

New King James Version (NKJV)

Perilous Times and Perilous Men

"3 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!"

No matter what your beliefs, you would have to be blind to not recognize that evil is running rampant.  



How else do you explain the beheading of an elderly priest while he was saying mass in Normandy, France this morning?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/27/world/europe/normandy-france-church-attack.html

I cannot even wrap my mind around that.

Or the slaying of disabled people by an angry knife-wielding man in Japan yesterday?

In their sleep. The murderer reportedly said "All disabled should disappear!"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/26/world/asia/knife-japan-stabbing-sagamihara.html?_r=0

Two days ago a young man lured children to a McDonalds in Munich, Germany with the promise of free food. And then shot them in cold blood.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/23/munich-shooting-german-iranian-gunman-targeted-children-outside/

This is just the last three days.  I could go on and on reporting the horrors that this world has been subjected to in recent times.  Almost on a daily basis.

But you can read the news.

And now, we are in the midst of a political battle in our country.

I refuse to turn my eyes away from the suffering. But I can renounce the hatred. 

I refuse to hate.


I posted a little story on Facebook about a wonderful encounter I had on Sunday with a Vietnamese family:

"I just had the most wonderful experience!
One of my neighbors asked me to teach his brother and his wife to speak English. They just moved to Portland from Vietnam 3 weeks ago. They speak no English at all! After one hour, they could say, "Hello. How are you? I am fine. Thank you." I also taught them the alphabet, days of the week and how to count to ten. It was so much fun. They were very shy at first, but after about 20 minutes they warmed up and we were all giggling as I tried to teach them some sounds foreign to them. "J", "X" and "H" were especially tricky and hilarious to demonstrate. I wish I had a video!
I was impressed at how hard they worked.
As I left, they stood on the porch waving and saying "Thank you!" Over and over. I told them I would come back next week and they should practice speaking English every day.
It feels so wonderful to help and learn from others. 
Who needs politics"

I plan on volunteering my services to this lovely family every Sunday.  It may not solve the problems of the world, but I feel like in my little corner of the world, I am sharing love and peace.

Of course, we do need politics for our society to run smoothly.  It seems like the wars between the left and the right have gone on since the early day of our civilization.

But what of this unspeakable evil?

Is it really related to radical religious views?

I worship a God of love and peace.

And I am going to start using my mind and my heart more than my gut.

Because my gut is a wreck.

In these times, love may sound like the answer, but it is only part of the equation.

Love is not just a feeling. It is also a verb.

Love, intellect and action are what we need.

And faith in a higher power.  Not in the media or the political elite.

Ok. I am now climbing off of my soapbox.

For today.

Happy Tuesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 248: I G T J!

I got the job! I had such a good feeling when I went into the interview. Lovely little church, really cool pastor (She preaches without her shoes! My type of woman!) I'll be the church secretary. It is very part time. But it will give me a little financial stability so I can breathe a bit! I will have to alter my morning routine. Eh hem, read that as WAKE UP EARLIER! Which I have been attempting to do since I have been writing this blog. Ok. Since I have been alive! Not a morning person, am I!  :) I am so happy. Because yesterday morning, there were so many hurdles getting to the interview, that I said, "God, I'd better get this job after all I am going through!" And He answered my prayer. Thank You, God. You are so good! But about those hurdles... First, I found out a MAX train had derailed early in the morning, which caused delays system wide.  That put a cramp in my commute, since the shortest trip to the church was to hop on Max to the mall and