Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 53: Chalupas!

 I am in my library office this morning. A beautiful, summer day in Portland. Gentle breeze. I chose to ride the bus because I am teaching students on a slight incline today. My sore body is not ready for slight incline.  Tomorrow, however is a definite bike day!

And look at my face! The lump has practically disappeared! Lumpless am I!  Maybe you never noticed the lump before. I did. I never saw a picture of my face without looking for it over the past several months.

So happy it is nothing serious. These sour candies are painful, but they do the trick. Isn't that the truth in life?  A little pain and suffering often brings rewards!




I made chalupas in my crockpot for dinner last night. No, not the Taco Bell "Chalupas"!

"A chalupa (Spanish pronunciation: [tʃaˈlupa]) is a tostada platter inMexican cuisine. It is a specialty of south-central Mexico, including the states of PueblaGuerrero and Oaxaca. Chalupas are made by pressing a thin layer of masa dough around the outside of a small mold, in the process creating a concave container resembling theboat of the same name, and then deep frying the result to produce crisp, shallow corn cups. These are filled with various ingredients such as shredded chicken, pork, chopped onion, chipotle pepper, red salsa, or green salsa." (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalupa)

I adapted this recipe from Taste of Home.com: 
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chalupas. But I used beef(the adult children do not like pork), and I used store "Ortega Fiesta Flats" to stuff them in.


 I slow cooked a pot of pinto beans in my smaller crockpot while I went on my bike ride and to the gym. Then I seared some beef stew meat in a skillet on the stove. When it was almost browned, I added a minced jalapeno, 3 cloves minced garlic, a cup of minced green onions, and 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley from the garden. Then I squeezed a fresh lime over the meat, added salt, pepper and cumin and plopped it in my large crockpot on high for an hour while the beans finished cooking. Then I poured the beans and their cooking liquid on top of the meat and added a can of mild green Chile's and "tajin" flavoring. I let this cook for about four hours on low. Then we scooped it up and put it in the taco shell boats. I topped it with a little dollop of sour cream and a few slice olives.

Oh my goodness! I cannot put into words how delicious this is!  The beans have just the right amount of "bite" and the meat melts in your mouth.

I can hardly wait until lunch!


Happy Friday! :)  




PS. On a more serious note, I just read the breaking news about terrorists taking hostages at a cafe in Bangladesh. I am adding the victims to my prayers. I am praying nearly all day every day now for all who suffer in our world.

I am reading Psalm 53 today. New King James Version:

 "The fool has said in his heart,
“There is no God.”
They are corrupt, and have done abominable iniquity;
There is none who does good.
God looks down from heaven upon the children of men,
To see if there are any who understand, who seek God.
Every one of them has turned aside;
They have together become corrupt;
There is none who does good,
No, not one.
Have the workers of iniquity no knowledge,
Who eat up my people as they eat bread,
And do not call upon God?
There they are in great fear
Where no fear was,
For God has scattered the bones of him who encamps against you;
You have put them to shame,
Because God has despised them.
Oh, that the salvation of Israel would come out of Zion!
When God brings back the captivity of His people,
Let Jacob rejoice and Israel be glad."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 248: I G T J!

I got the job! I had such a good feeling when I went into the interview. Lovely little church, really cool pastor (She preaches without her shoes! My type of woman!) I'll be the church secretary. It is very part time. But it will give me a little financial stability so I can breathe a bit! I will have to alter my morning routine. Eh hem, read that as WAKE UP EARLIER! Which I have been attempting to do since I have been writing this blog. Ok. Since I have been alive! Not a morning person, am I!  :) I am so happy. Because yesterday morning, there were so many hurdles getting to the interview, that I said, "God, I'd better get this job after all I am going through!" And He answered my prayer. Thank You, God. You are so good! But about those hurdles... First, I found out a MAX train had derailed early in the morning, which caused delays system wide.  That put a cramp in my commute, since the shortest trip to the church was to hop on Max to the mall and