Skip to main content

Year Two, Days 199 and 200: Advent

 
 I did not get a chance to post yesterday. I think I was suffering from a food hangover!

I played for the homeless luncheon at the church on Thanksgiving from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. It was a "volunteer" position, but they gave me $60 and a free lunch!

In addition, I got to sit with some lovely people and visit.  And look at this lunch! (I had pie too....oh boy do I need the gym!)

After the lunch, my daughter and son-in-law picked me up and whisked me off to my brother's house for yet another Thanksgiving meal!  I did not eat lightly.  I enjoyed every morsel.

And some heated political debates. lol  But all in all a good time!

Luckily I did not have to work yesterday. My daughter was also home. Her husband went out hunting. So when she and I get a day off together, we go to lunch! But we were both moving sluggishly, so first we took Honey Dawg for a nice romp in the nearby doggie park. Then we decided we would walk for a nice cup of pho and then walk up to Walmart to get cleaning supplies and do a thorough cleaning. 

Luckily we missed the Black Friday crowds. We don't do crowds.

So we had a lovely walk. Wonderful lunch. And then on our slow, sluggish walk/crawl to Walmart, we came upon a thrift store we had not been to. We decided to stop in. They had a well stocked clothing supply! And we saw little signs everywhere that said "50 % off everything".

Most of the clothes were in really good shape. I found some lovely jeans that fit! And at 50% they would be $2.50! We kept snickering to ourselves that perhaps we were misunderstanding the 50 % off  EVERYTHING sign. When suddenly a light bulb went on. For both of us. At the same time.

The thrift store was having a Black Friday sale!

Then we discovered dresses and skirts were 75% off!!

So we went super crazy and bought about $150 worth of clothes for $50.

SCORE!!

I am so excited. The jeans I got yesterday were a nice fit, but a little snug. But today they are actually a bit loose. Because yesterday I had poofy Thanksgiving belly!  They are a size 16!! My original goal was to fit into size 14 jeans. I have several pair in my closet donated to me by my mom.

I am close!!!

Today my daughter, son-in-law and mom met for breakfast before I went to teach.  We had a lovely visit.  My daughter talked me into sharing a meal.  I am feeling quite svelte!

At the church where I teach on Saturday, they have a lovely grand piano. On my break, I decided to record "O Come, O Come Emmanuel".  This is considered an Advent hymn, although many people consider it a Christmas carol.

I am not fond of all the Christmas decorations going up before Thanksgiving, the crazy commercial and ads encouraging us to spend, spend, spend, "ho ho ho!". But I do love Advent.

Especially when I was a church pianist. There is a deep feeling of longing and expectancy. Almost like pregnancy. And of course, what the people were hoping for was a Messiah which came in the form of a baby, from the beautiful Virgin Mary.

If you are not familiar with the term "Advent", here is a nice synopsis from our good friend Wikipedia:

"Advent is a season observed in many Western Christian churches as a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas. The term is a version of the Latin word meaning "coming".
Latin adventus is the translation of the Greek word parousia, commonly used to refer to the Second Coming of Christ. For Christians, the season of Advent anticipates the coming of Christ from three different perspectives. "Since the time of Bernard of Clairvaux (d.1153) Christians have spoken of the three comings of Christ: in the flesh in Bethlehem, in our hearts daily, and ini glory at the end of time."[1] The season offers the opportunity to share in the ancient longing for the coming of the Messiah, and to be alert for his Second Coming."


And here is my youtube video:
And on that note, I am off to meet a fish from Plenty of Fish. I am feeling surprisingly calm and serene about this. Finally. I put it into perspective. I am just meeting someone for a drink.  I will be polite and kind whether we "click" or not. I am not shopping for a car. I am meeting a new person. No
expectations.

I wish I would have had this insight many moons ago!

Happy Saturday!

And Happy First Day of Advent!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 134: The Charmed Life of a Commuting Grandma

I just discovered that the Starbucks at Cascades Station stays open until 10:00 p.m. every night.

Just when I was wanting to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Being a commuting grandma really is not that difficult. Actually, my life pretty much rocks right now!

Today has been a very good day. And I had maybe 3 hours of solid sleep last night. The Burrito has decided she likes to sleep cuddled in the arms of her Great Grandma Blanche or Grandma Zita during the day. Or snuggled safe in her infant seat while her mom, grandma and great grandma go out to lunch, do laundry and go shopping.

I warned my daughter that the
Baby Burrito needed some awake time yesterday. Or else we would pay for it in the evening. But getting so much done with a snoozing baby in tow was so freeing. Especially since Baby Burrito's dad is elk hunting all weekend.

We finally roused her for a bath, diaper change and piano lesson early afternoon.

Baby Burrito had a fantastic first piano lesson. At…

Year Two, Day 288: I Found a Place!

This is truly amazing.

God is so good.

All the time!

I posted on Facebook my housing plight yesterday afternoon. And so many of my wonderful friends had helpful suggestions. Several offers for roommates came in.  But most of them so far from my work.

Then, I was heading home after teaching and just felt the need to sit and think.  Of course sitting and thinking go so much better with a cheeseburger on a rice cake, and what do you know...there I was getting off the bus in from of a McDonald's!

So I ordered a quarter pounder with cheese, ditched the bun and plopped it down between two rice cakes (I always carry emergency rice cakes in my bags these days).

I opened up Facebook and found a message from the pastor at my church job. She and her family have a room in their basement that they have been wanting to rent. But they were hesitant to put up an ad. They preferred knowing the person.

And here I am!  This is a blessing in so many ways! I will help them by paying rent and being a p…

Year Three, Day 156: Thank God for COPD and 120 Days of Daily Hooping

10:00 a.m.

Today has been a very good day so far.

I am here at my daughter and son-in-law's church.


I have Baby Gracie duty. It is a pleasure! I had not seen her in four days. Such a difference those days made! I arrived at their trailer before church. I went straight to her crib and said,"Hi Gracie, your grandma is here!"

I scooped her up and noticed her looking intently up at my face. Like she was studying me. I continued talking to her and her face lit up with recognition!

My heart leapt for joy!

I danced with her around the living room, softly singing our theme song ("The Bunny Hop"). When I got to the "hop, hop, hop" part she would grin.




Earlier, I took the Max to Cascades Station. Had a cup of Earl Grey tea and a gluten free breakfast sandwich at Starbucks. It was such a beautiful morning. Clear, crisp and chilly. Sun shining brightly.

I love this time of year!  I did cough quite a bit last night. The Prednisone has taken the edge off, but does …