Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 268: "Brilliant"!

This will be a short blog. Most tired am I! But I did have a good day.  I stuck to my schedule and ate relatively healthy all day.

Freezing rain was in the forecast last night. And sure enough, I woke up to a a street as shiny as an ice skating rink. But I was determined to get to my church job by 10:00 a.m. I had bulletins to print for Sunday!

I am getting better at waking up early without hitting the snooze button. Too many times.

I felt most prepared. I got out my cleats and strapped them on my rain boots:


I had on many layers.  I had even packed a lunch and grabbed my umbrella. I was just about to start walking down the icy steps sideways when my son-in-law returned home from taking my daughter to work.

"Don't go out there", he warned. "It's really bad."

Really bad it was. I could hardly get down the stairs without sliding.

So I crawled back in the house and texted my boss. I told her my street was an ice skating rink and I would like to come in later. She told me the roads by the church were fine and she hoped I would make it in, because, well those bulletins needed to be printed.

I checked the forecast. The ice was supposed to melt early afternoon. I had to be at the music center to teach piano classes at 3:00. I would just be restless at home, worrying about the bulletins and making it to the center on time.  Buses tended to go very slow in the ice and snow.

So I asked my son-in-law to drive me to the bus stop. He is so sweet. He popped right up and we slid down the street. But it was perfect. I made every bus on time and by the time I got to my church, which is further south and west than the house, the roads were relatively clear.

I even had time for my tall smoked butterscotch latte with coconut milk at Starbucks. And as I got off to transfer buses, a young man looked at my cleated boots and smiled.

"Brilliant", he said.

I'll take that.  Funny how a compliment from a stranger will brighten your day.

And I think I will just end today's blog with that word.

Brilliant!

Happy Friday! :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist