Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 286: Hear Me Roar!

Today's fruit of the spirit is "faithfulness". This morning I really got this. How my emotional state is more balanced when I just let go of all the worries and "what ifs" and simply trust in God.

Because He is faithful. He continually opens up different, unexpected routes in my life when I feel I am trapped by roadblocks.

It is early yet. On a drizzly, gray Tuesday morning. It is fitting that I am sipping a London Fog. Gazing out the window at my regular Starbucks joint.

I love the rain: the sound, the smell, the sight of the drops making ripples in the puddles on the pavement.

After our big snowstorm recently, our roads are torn up. Many potholes to be seen. Which make an abundance of puddles! When I played the piano for the Penguin Musical last week, I laughed out loud walking near the playground. A group of boys were purposely seeking big puddles to stomp in. One of them actually looked up at me and said, "There are a lot of good puddles around here"!

I don't even mind walking in the rain. If it is not too cold or windy, I find it refreshing!

Already this morning, I have been the recipient of two random acts of kindness.

As I was walking to my first bus stop, a car was in the crosswalk trying to turn right on Foster near the I-205 on ramp.This is a very busy intersection weekday mornings. I am quite used to drivers not seeing me in their rush to get to work, or wherever it is they need to be on such a hurry.

So I was prepared to wait patiently until she turned. But she saw me standing there, probably looking dejected with me limp umbrella.  She put her car in reverse and backed up, allowing me to cross. It's the little things in life. I gave her a big smile and a wave of gratitude. She smiled back.  My heart warmed.

The second one was a bus driver.  I do seem to have a connection with bus drivers in Portland.  I appreciate them and feel compassion for them at the same time.  This one was a middle aged man driving the #72, perhaps one of the busiest lines.  I always get off at the stop right before Starbucks. I had rang the bell and was standing up and he whizzed right on by my stop. I gently asked him if he was going to stop. He apologized. I said, "It's ok, I'm just going to the Starbucks up ahead".

So he pulled right on up in front of the Starbucks building!  I thanked him and raced off, trying to avoid raindrops and quite thankful to just have to dash a few feet rather than a whole city block!

But now, I need to grab my London Fog and catch my next bus.

To be continued....

It is now 2:20 p.m. I am eating Moo goo gai pan at the Canton Grill while listening to David Bowie singing, "This is Ground Control to Major Tom..."

A pleasantly surreal experience. I am eating plenty of hot mustard. Hoping to open up my nasal passages.

Still sniffling I am.

On my way to a piano student's house.

Will check in again later...

It is now 5:00 p.m. I taught two students- a mother and daughter. The mother is learning the 12-bar blues. It tickles me to see how she enjoys our jam sessions. She is quite good already. She had been struggling with note reading, but she soars with the blues! Her daughter is crazy about Harry Potter and is working on "Hedwig's Theme", the theme song from the movie.

I found out right before their lesson that the student immediately after them was suck with the flu. So before I started considering tea and chocolate, I high-tailed it to the gym for a 29 minute gym break. I did about 8 minutes on the treadmill and then did some weights, focusing on my back. I am starting to crave exercise again. I had such a setback with my back injury and being sick, the snow storm and then working more hours.

One can always make excuses, but I have proven it to myself again and again, that without exercise, I am miserable. But when I work out, I am a tiger!

Hear me roar!

I am home now.  My evening ended with a lovely choir rehearsal. We are working on several movements of Bach's g minor Mass.

This music is ethereal.  I float the rest of the week and find myself wanting to sit at my piano and play Bach for hours after each rehearsal.  The older I get, the more I am drawn to his music.

Words cannot even describe the peace it brings me. So I will not offer any more words other than:

Happy Tuesday! :)


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 134: The Charmed Life of a Commuting Grandma

I just discovered that the Starbucks at Cascades Station stays open until 10:00 p.m. every night.

Just when I was wanting to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Being a commuting grandma really is not that difficult. Actually, my life pretty much rocks right now!

Today has been a very good day. And I had maybe 3 hours of solid sleep last night. The Burrito has decided she likes to sleep cuddled in the arms of her Great Grandma Blanche or Grandma Zita during the day. Or snuggled safe in her infant seat while her mom, grandma and great grandma go out to lunch, do laundry and go shopping.

I warned my daughter that the
Baby Burrito needed some awake time yesterday. Or else we would pay for it in the evening. But getting so much done with a snoozing baby in tow was so freeing. Especially since Baby Burrito's dad is elk hunting all weekend.

We finally roused her for a bath, diaper change and piano lesson early afternoon.

Baby Burrito had a fantastic first piano lesson. At…

Year Three, Day 201: I Prayed and Prayed

My head is reeling.  I am also sleep deprived. I was up all night reading comments from concerned citizens about the alleged abduction of the three year-old Mariah Kay Woods in North Carolina.  Heartbreaking. I prayed and prayed.

Then, some time after midnight I got a text from my son's girlfriend. He has an unusual bruise on his head. His pupils are both the same size. He doesn't remember honking his head. No headache. Just weird bruise. She texted me a picture. Told them to call if he had any other strange developments.

I prayed and prayed.

Tossed and turned. Read about North Korea preparing to fire a missile at us. Prayed and prayed. Coughed a bit too. See, I think my cough is anxiety related!

Then, finally drifted off to sleep.

Only to be woken up at 6;30 a.m. to a text from my mom:

"They fired Matt Lauer"!

NOOOO!  I wanted to scream. I flipped on th me television. Just in time to catch Savannah and Hoda give the tearful announcement. Both visibly shaken. Me too…

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…