Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 273: The Cleansing Power of the Rain

Today's spiritual fruit is "peace".  This I try to practice everyday. In fact, my email signature says "Peace, Zita". But what does the word "peace" really mean?  It brings to mind the hippie movement.  I was just a child. But a hippie wannabe.  I envied their long hair, barefeet, flowing clothing, and carefree ways. And the would often hold up two fingers in the peace sign.  So in a sense, I think of peace as freedom.

I also think of peace as the absence of war. And inner peace.  But I thought I would look up the etymology (origin) of the word. And it was very interesting!

I went to my friend Wikipedia and found:

"The term 'peace' originates most recently from the Anglo-French pes, and the Old French pais, meaning "peace, reconciliation, silence, agreement" (11th century).[1] But, Pes itself comes from the Latin pax, meaning "peace, compact, agreement, treaty of peace, tranquility, absence of hostility, harmony." The English word came into use in various personal greetings from c.1300 as a translation of the Hebrew word shalom, which, according to Jewish theology, comes from a Hebrew verb meaning 'to be complete, whole'." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace)

As far back as I can remember I longed for an inner feeling of peace. When I was a young child, I'm sure I could not define it, but I could feel it.  An ache inside for things to be calm and happy.  And when I have felt that feeling, I do indeed feel complete.  More to ponder indeed!

Yesterday was my "joy"  day. And you know what? I lived in joy. All Day long! I hadd a moment on one of my numerous bus trips when I thought my heart would burst. So full of joy was I!

But my heart sank last night.  My family member in crisis (I will refer to him henceforth as "FMIC") was having a serious issue. We talked. I prayed. I went to bed, heart racing. I prayed, I tossed, I turned. And I prayed some more.

Amazingly, I woke up on time. And here I sit. At Starbucks. Sipping my London Fog.  Watching the rainfall. My head feels unusually clear. Perhaps it is thecleansing power of the rain. Or maybe the familiarity of it.I do love the rain!

 I brought my book Challenge: A Daily Meditation Based on the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius by MarkinLink, SJ with me. Because today's meditation was written just for me!

It reads:

"The following reflection was found in the pocket of a dead Confederate soldier: 'I asked for health that I might do greater things; I was given infirmity, that I might do better things....I asked for riches, that I might be happy; I was given poverty, that I might be wise....I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men; I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God....I got nothing I asked for, but everything I hoped for. Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered. I am among all men most richly blessed.'"

And on that note, I wish you a happy Wednesday, much peace and joy!

Zita :) 

I LOVE the rain!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Two, Day 288: I Found a Place!

This is truly amazing.

God is so good.

All the time!

I posted on Facebook my housing plight yesterday afternoon. And so many of my wonderful friends had helpful suggestions. Several offers for roommates came in.  But most of them so far from my work.

Then, I was heading home after teaching and just felt the need to sit and think.  Of course sitting and thinking go so much better with a cheeseburger on a rice cake, and what do you know...there I was getting off the bus in from of a McDonald's!

So I ordered a quarter pounder with cheese, ditched the bun and plopped it down between two rice cakes (I always carry emergency rice cakes in my bags these days).

I opened up Facebook and found a message from the pastor at my church job. She and her family have a room in their basement that they have been wanting to rent. But they were hesitant to put up an ad. They preferred knowing the person.

And here I am!  This is a blessing in so many ways! I will help them by paying rent and being a p…

Year Three, Day 134: The Charmed Life of a Commuting Grandma

I just discovered that the Starbucks at Cascades Station stays open until 10:00 p.m. every night.

Just when I was wanting to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Being a commuting grandma really is not that difficult. Actually, my life pretty much rocks right now!

Today has been a very good day. And I had maybe 3 hours of solid sleep last night. The Burrito has decided she likes to sleep cuddled in the arms of her Great Grandma Blanche or Grandma Zita during the day. Or snuggled safe in her infant seat while her mom, grandma and great grandma go out to lunch, do laundry and go shopping.

I warned my daughter that the
Baby Burrito needed some awake time yesterday. Or else we would pay for it in the evening. But getting so much done with a snoozing baby in tow was so freeing. Especially since Baby Burrito's dad is elk hunting all weekend.

We finally roused her for a bath, diaper change and piano lesson early afternoon.

Baby Burrito had a fantastic first piano lesson. At…

Year Three, Day 83: Prednisone, Grumpy Doc and the Pentateuch!

I barely hacked at all last night.
Probably due to the Prednisone my doctor prescribed me. I was hoping I'd get a new doctor this time around at the clinic that accepts my Oregon Health Plan coverage. But there he was. Grumpy Doc.
But my appointment was pleasant. I greeted him and asked him how he was. He lightened up and even smiled during our visit. I wonder if he has a rough life.  It turns out we have the same "virus". Yes virus. I do not have a bacterial infection. My stats show me as a very healthy woman!  
BP: 100/70, Pulse 79, temp 96.7, Weight 182 lbs. (My weight loss has stalled. After I did the 10-Day Grain Detox, I weakened and ate a few meals with much rice.  I have SOOO missed rice. But since then, I've gained two pounds, so today I'm going back to no grains.  For the time being.  I think I will allow a bit of rice now and then, but I still am looking at 40 more pounds that I'd like to drop. So must be strong!)
Anyway...
I told Grumpy Doc I hav…