Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 273: The Cleansing Power of the Rain

Today's spiritual fruit is "peace".  This I try to practice everyday. In fact, my email signature says "Peace, Zita". But what does the word "peace" really mean?  It brings to mind the hippie movement.  I was just a child. But a hippie wannabe.  I envied their long hair, barefeet, flowing clothing, and carefree ways. And the would often hold up two fingers in the peace sign.  So in a sense, I think of peace as freedom.

I also think of peace as the absence of war. And inner peace.  But I thought I would look up the etymology (origin) of the word. And it was very interesting!

I went to my friend Wikipedia and found:

"The term 'peace' originates most recently from the Anglo-French pes, and the Old French pais, meaning "peace, reconciliation, silence, agreement" (11th century).[1] But, Pes itself comes from the Latin pax, meaning "peace, compact, agreement, treaty of peace, tranquility, absence of hostility, harmony." The English word came into use in various personal greetings from c.1300 as a translation of the Hebrew word shalom, which, according to Jewish theology, comes from a Hebrew verb meaning 'to be complete, whole'." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace)

As far back as I can remember I longed for an inner feeling of peace. When I was a young child, I'm sure I could not define it, but I could feel it.  An ache inside for things to be calm and happy.  And when I have felt that feeling, I do indeed feel complete.  More to ponder indeed!

Yesterday was my "joy"  day. And you know what? I lived in joy. All Day long! I hadd a moment on one of my numerous bus trips when I thought my heart would burst. So full of joy was I!

But my heart sank last night.  My family member in crisis (I will refer to him henceforth as "FMIC") was having a serious issue. We talked. I prayed. I went to bed, heart racing. I prayed, I tossed, I turned. And I prayed some more.

Amazingly, I woke up on time. And here I sit. At Starbucks. Sipping my London Fog.  Watching the rainfall. My head feels unusually clear. Perhaps it is thecleansing power of the rain. Or maybe the familiarity of it.I do love the rain!

 I brought my book Challenge: A Daily Meditation Based on the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius by MarkinLink, SJ with me. Because today's meditation was written just for me!

It reads:

"The following reflection was found in the pocket of a dead Confederate soldier: 'I asked for health that I might do greater things; I was given infirmity, that I might do better things....I asked for riches, that I might be happy; I was given poverty, that I might be wise....I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men; I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God....I got nothing I asked for, but everything I hoped for. Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered. I am among all men most richly blessed.'"

And on that note, I wish you a happy Wednesday, much peace and joy!

Zita :) 

I LOVE the rain!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...