Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 287: Dreaming of a Camper Van

So, I didn't get the apartment.  

I really liked it - especially the location.  But the manager gave me a bad vibe. So I am a bit relieved. She was kind of negative. Even the voicemail..."We can't rent to you. Bad credit. Sorry." Click. I almost expected a cackle. Like the Wicked Witch of the West!

The thing is, it was the least expensive apartment I've seen. I talked to a lady from a property management company and she said with bad credit, sometimes they will take a bigger deposit.

Honestly, I can't afford to live in Portland! I told my son. I suggested he stay with friends for now.
Work on building his credit. I have old marks on my credit bureau report, from ages ago. Divorce. Single mom. But I have almost everything paid off now.  So if I tried to get into one of the apartments that say "Bad Credit? Ok!", I would spend a fortune in a deposit.

Sigh.

My daughter suggest I rent a room from someone. I am really nervous about this. I am a bit of an introvert. And really quite shy.

What I'd really like to do is buy a mini van. And put most of my things in a storage facility. I can park in my daughter and son-in-law's driveway, my mom and dad's driveway in Vancouver...Until I find a place.

Most everyone tells me this is a bad idea, but I think I'd like to try it. 

I've actually fantasized about getting a camper van for many years. Getting rid of most everything, and having the freedom to just get up and go on a moment's notice!  

Hit the road! Find adventure!

Sigh.  But for now, I need to figure out how to just survive.

So...

In the meantime, I put up a post on Facebook. I thought I'd also share it with my blog readers in case you knew anyone that had a room that might rent to a funky, middle aged piano teacher.

(But I really want to buy that van!)


Here's my post.

Dear Friends:
I need your help.
I have not been successful in finding an apartment in SE Portland that I can afford. I need to move within a week.
Does anyone know someone who would be willing to rent me a room? It would be most likely a temporary situation.
I am gone most of the day teaching, at rehearsal, at my church job or exercising.
I will not have many belongings with me. Will be putting most everything in storage for the time being.
I am quiet and respectful.
I do not smoke, drink, do drugs, or have crazy parties.
No pets.
At home, I like to read and cook. I even do dishes! I love kids and pets and people, but I'm a bit of an introvert, so don't socialize much outside of work.
I would prefer to rent a room from people I know. I am kind of shy by nature.
I would also love to give free piano lessons to anyone in the household! I have a digital electric piano, but would love to rent a room where there is already an acoustic piano.
I can also provide soft classical music at night for you to relax by. ;)
If you have any suggestions, or a room, or a basement, or an attic, please message me on FB or email me at: pianoteacherpdx@yahoo.com.
Please feel free to share this post!
Also, I will be looking for a mini van. In good running condition.

Thank you and God bless! :)

Zita

And on another, happier note, I got a selfie with my favorite bus driver today!  Sadly, this is her last week on this route. But we have had many happy trips together!
 
 
Really, life is a happy trip, isn't it?

I trust God will find the right situation for my family.

Today, I am focusing on "gentleness" from the fruit of the spirit (Galatians 5:22).

And I am going to start with me!

Happy Wednesday! :)

Gentle Zita

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist