Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 277: Bach and Pho

I had some "Bach therapy" between students yesterday. I played through several Bach Inventions.  I have been neglecting the piano lately. But my practice time yesterday was so rewarding, that I started considering making a youtube video of each one. More to come on that subject!

After a long day of teaching, I headed to Pho Vietnam for some "Pho Therapy". But I ended up having the shrimp and grilled pork over rice noodles. More like a salad than a pho (soup). But still therapeutic!

It seems that I am needing a lot of "therapy" lately.  Music therapy. Massage therapy.  Comfort food therapy.  Walking therapy.  Gym therapy.  Vitamin D therapy - the sun is shining at last! 

It is fitting then, that the fruit of the spirit ("But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."  Galatians 5:22-23 ESV) that I am focusing on today is faithfulness.   My gut feeling was that God is faithful and if I allow myself to fully trust in Him and follow His ways, it will ease my anxiety and need for all this comfort.  In a sense, I am quite needy. But instead of always seeking these earthly comfort bandages, I am learning to turn to the Almighty. Open my Bible. Study, pray.  This is the ultimate comfort.  I am still learning. A baby spirituatlly.

I looked up a few commentaries on Galatians 5:22-23. One I like is from Jesuswalk.com
"
"Faithfulness" (NIV, NRSV), "faith" (KJV) is pistis, "that which evokes trust and faith," here, "the state of being someone in whom confidence can be placed, faithfulness, reliability, fidelity, commitment."[259] It is also Paul's normal word for "faith," the "state of believing on the basis of the reliability of the one trusted, trust, confidence, faith," but in a list of virtues, "faithfulness" is more likely.
All the examples we have in the New Testament involve faithfulness towards God, that is, a person living out his trust in God over the long haul."  
(http://www.jesuswalk.com/galatians/8_fruit.htm)

 So I was on the right track.  The words "confidence" and "trust" stand out for me.  I do have issues with both.  

I am on my way to more pho therapy right now. And family therapy. My son is meeting me for lunch.  I am hoping to make it to the gym later on. 

As I stated in previous blog posts, I have put the gym on the back burner. I have a new part time administrative assistant job in the mornings and I am apartment hunting. But in lieu of the gym, I am walking faster between buses!  

But it is nagging at my conscious.  I know I will feel much stronger if I get back to regular weight training. So I will just keep nagging myself!

At least I have been eating very healthy lately.  Gluten free, high protein, veggies and fruit.  Lots of pho!  And today I brought rice crackers and cheese for coffee hour at church so that I wouldn't have to struggle avoiding the temptation of cookies and pastries.

I was not the only one thinking healthy. Because the table was laden with fresh fruit!

We are all a work in progress!


Happy Sunday! :) 

Off to Pho I go!

Faithfully,

Zita


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i