Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 102: Homemade Corn Tortillas and "A Moment of Sheer Grace"

I am finally feeling progress with my daily hooping!  And I discovered a secret. I do Tai Chi before I hoop. I find that I am not as winded, and can hoop for longer once I've done some light Tai Chi and breathing exercises. I am still quite the beginner, but as I progress, I will bravely post my Tai Chi workout.

I am feeling a sense of freedom today.  My daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter are on vacation. I am home alone with the Honey Dog. I am getting some much needed sleep, spring cleaning and cooking time.

I am proud to say I have mastered the art of homemade corn tortillas, without a press even!



I was so thrilled with the results, I ordered a tortilla press and tortilla warmer online. They should arrive this weekend. In the meantime, I hand pressed my tortillas with two pieces of cardboard and a plastic bag.

They turned out lovely and tasty. And gluten free! Now I have another option for when I travel to Portland to teach. I can just pop these puppies in my bag so that I won't be tempted to eat anything containing wheat.

I am still struggling with coughing, wheezing and allergy symptoms.  I suspect there is something in the apartment. So I have been opening up windows and doors every morning when I let Honey Dog out.  And I am vacuuming daily and scrubbing surfaces with baking soda and vinegar.

I am also wondering if food allergies are a culprit. I have not gone back to entirely gluten free and I still allow cheese into my life.  But with my lovely corn tortillas, I think I can nix gluten again. And cheese, well my friend, you really have to go!

However, aside from wheezing and sniffling I feel good. I feel hopeful because I see progress in my health.

And above all, I feel very grateful. For my wonderful family.  We are quite an assortment of personalities, but lovable all the same. Yesterday I spent the afternoon with my brother, my niece and her friend. I gave my niece a piano lesson and worked with both girls on a song they are singing with their 5th grade class.  I am heading into spring break, so there is this nice feeling of space. I don't feel rushed. I hope to figure out a way to keep this space in my life permanently. It kind of goes along with slow, intentional breathing and gentle Tai Chi movements.

Along with my stellar tortillas, I made Oaxacan beef for dinner last night. It was so yummy!  I met a young man from Oaxaca years ago at a gym. He gave me the recipe. Essentially, just slice skirt steak or sirloin very thinly and fry. Set aside. Mince up a jalapeno, cilantro, and slice a lime.  Season steak with salt and pepper, and squeeze lime juice on top. Put on a tortilla (such as my stellar corn tortillas!) and top with jalapeno and cilantro. I also put salsa on mine.

So divine!




I am feeling so much joy and hope, but underneath, I am mourning yet another mass shooting. This time by a white supremacist in New Zealand. It saddens me to hear of the loss of innocent life.  The victims were praying.  And now I am praying for them. And their families. And also the shooters and all the angry people in this world.  If they would just stop and look up into the sky, look at the beauty all around them, eat some wonderful food, smile...would they still hate?  Or are they so consumed, that they are beyond simple pleasures?

I read about the shooting early this morning.  Since I didn't have to get up early to take care of my granddaughter, I rolled back over and slept a bit more. Then I woke with my heart thudding, worried I had overslept.

I had slightly. But I still got all my chores done, including my Tai Chi, hooping and morning prayer.

But since this is the period of Lent, I want to focus on letting go of that extra sleep in the morning. It is negative. A denial of the day.  I do not want to live like that anymore. I want to greet the morning and live in the light.

Finally, I want to leave you with this quote I read on Facebook this morning.  It is from Sister Catherine Wybourne's page. She is a Benedictine nun.  It is a new thought for me, but I find it thought provoking. I especially like the last sentence: "It was a moment of sheer grace".


"Forgive me for quoting myself again, but we are getting a lot of people saying ‘I can’t believe in a God who allows such dreadful suffering as that inflicted on those people in Christchurch.’ Although my natural tendency would be to try to tease out why anyone should believe in a God who denies us freewill, this passage from iBenedictines may be worth reflcting on:
I think we might find forgiveness less of a battle if we remembered something that will shock the devout but which I have found to be true in my own life. There are times when we have to forgive God. That sounds crazy, doesn’t it? How can we forgive God, our all-holy, all-loving Creator and Redeemer? To suggest that he could ever do anything that needs to be forgiven is blasphemy, isn’t it? Theologically, yes, without a doubt; psychologically, I’m not so sure. You see, most of us hold God to account without always realising what we are doing. When the Boxing Day Tsunami struck many people who lost family and friends cried out in agony that they could no longer believe in a God who did such things. Even those who nuanced that to ‘allowed such things’ decided that the God in whom they had previously believed was not one they would trust in the future. For a few, a very few, the smashing of their old ideas of God led to a deeper and more luminous faith. At the heart of all was forgiveness or its absence. If we have a problem with forgiveness, we need to ask ourselves whether, at some level, we are holding God responsible. If we do, then I think we have explicitly to forgive God, or at least tell him we want to forgive him. I know that the most difficult experience in my own life only began to find healing when I was able to say, ‘God, I’m angry with you but I forgive you.’ It was a moment of sheer grace."



Finally, below you will find my hooping videos for today and yesterday. Today is day 14 - two weeks of daily hooping! I am proud and committed to continue!

Happy Friday!

Love,

Zita











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i