Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 106: A Tortilla Press, My Nose and a Possible Soy Allergy

My tortilla press arrived last night. I was so excited to try it!

This morning I made a dozen corn tortillas. My granddaughter helped. I gave her a small ball of masa to knead. She was fascinated. Looked at it in her little hand and squealed, "Ball!"

All was well until she tried to eat a big lump. I had to fish it out of mouth so she didn't choke.






They turned out quite lovely! I then sauteed some mushrooms, garlic and green onions in butter. I added some Braggs Liquid Aminos, which adds a lot of flavor without gluten.

I put them on top of my corn tortillas with a bit of guacamole and cheese. I expected my granddaughter to pick off the mushrooms and just eat the tortilla and cheese. But she gobbled up the mushrooms!

I was quite pleased.

I did wake up a bit late this morning. I was having severe allergy problems yesterday. So severe were they, that I was considering a hospital visit.  At moments during my day, I could actually feel my sinuses swell up. I could not breathe at all through my nose, and a couple of times, my throat felt like it was closing.

I did my Qi Gong breathing and rinsed my nose with saline. It helped a bit.  Then I had some spicy soup. Which helped more. When I got home, I made some ginger tea. Then I gave in and took some TheraFlu. I slept soundly, but couldn't use my C-Pap machine, because at bedtime, I was still unable to breathe through my nose.

I feel better today.  But since I didn't wake up early enough, I had to share my hooping time with my granddaughter. And Honey Dog.  It turned out to be quite a fun session.


On my way downtown this morning, I had time to stop at the Vancouver Starbucks before the Express bus arrived. Lucky for me, I had earned a free drink on my app! I almost ordered my usual: Match Green Tea Latte with soy, when an invisible light bulb turned on over my head.

Maybe I am allergic to soy!  Yesterday I had soy in my latte, and tofu in my curry for lunch. I am a bit sad. I love soy!

But it was worth looking into. I ordered a "Iced Cinnamon Cloud Macchiato".  With whole milk. Yes, milk produces mucous, but I am not doing myself any favors if I am allergic to soy!

So far, so good. I am breathing in and out of my nose. I will observe my sinuses today and report back tomorrow.

I got a call from my mom just now. She is really excited about a new restaurant that has just opened in Vancouver. It is called "The Diner".
https://pdx.eater.com/2019/2/20/18232465/the-diner-vancouver-meals-on-wheels-open

 It benefits Meals on Wheels recipients. My parents are eligible. It is run like a normal restaurant, diner style.  But Meals on Wheels recipients get a significant discount. We are going to check it out soon. I will report back on that also!  My mother and I have been meeting for breakfast once a week for many years. It is something we both look forward to. But it does get expensive! Will be nice to save a bit of money and still get a nice meal and conversation.

I am still gung ho about Qi Gong.  I have one book and DVD from the Fort Vancouver Library.  I am also downloading a book on my Kindle.  Someday I may even take a class. It is really helping!

And if my nose continues to cooperate, I can use my C-PAP again tonight.  I do sleep better at night with the C-PAP, (and the functional nose).

On that note, I must be off to teach piano students.

It is an other glorious, sunny day. I hope you are enjoying it. I am!

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita

































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i