Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 100: S.A.D.

WOW! What a glorious day!  The sunshine feels like it is permeating my soul!

On days like this after a long, cold, dark winter, I wonder if I am yet another sufferer of S.A.D. Seasonal Affective Disorder.  Unless you've been living under a rock (and that would be depressing), you have probably heard of it.  Here is a blurb from the Mayo Clinic:

"Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that's related to changes in seasons — SAD begins and ends at about the same times every year. If you're like most people with SAD, your symptoms start in the fall and continue into the winter months, sapping your energy and making you feel moody. Less often, SAD causes depression in the spring or early summer.
Treatment for SAD may include light therapy (phototherapy), medications and psychotherapy.
Don't brush off that yearly feeling as simply a case of the "winter blues" or a seasonal funk that you have to tough out on your own. Take steps to keep your mood and motivation steady throughout the year.


Symptoms

In most cases, seasonal affective disorder symptoms appear during late fall or early winter and go away during the sunnier days of spring and summer. Less commonly, people with the opposite pattern have symptoms that begin in spring or summer. In either case, symptoms may start out mild and become more severe as the season progresses.
Signs and symptoms of SAD may include:

  • Feeling depressed most of the day, nearly every day
  • Losing interest in activities you once enjoyed
  • Having low energy
  • Having problems with sleeping
  • Experiencing changes in your appetite or weight
  • Feeling sluggish or agitated
  • Having difficulty concentrating
  • Feeling hopeless, worthless or guilty 
  • Having frequent thoughts of death or suicide"  
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20364651

I find it interesting that a smaller number of people have symptoms that begin in spring in summer.   think my moods have flipped! I used to get depressed on sunny days. Especially hot summer days. I would prefer the rain. I could breathe and felt energized. And it also made me feeling like curling up inside with a good book and cup of tea.  Most comforting!

Maybe I have indeed completely gone through "the change" (which began in my early 40's. Sorry if that is TMI, but so glad to be through with those hot flashes!) I really don't mind the rain, but the cold and the darkness had chilled my very soul, to use the soul analogy again.

I have experienced all of the above symptoms, aside from suicidal thoughts. I have too much love for my family and friends to ever contemplate that!

Needless to say, I am having a very good day today. Yesterday was good too! I spent most of the day with my daughter and granddaughter. We went to lunch, cleaned and then went to my great niece's 4th birthday party at Chuck E Cheese.  We had a blast!  And of course, my darling granddaughter wanted nothing to do with Mr. Chuck E Cheese.  Big scary rat that he is!  But we had a hard time getting her off of the carousel. She kept saying "more" and then sitting on the little horse, giving us a princess wave every time she came around.  So precious is this age. She is now 18 months.

After the party they dropped me off at the gym. I had a nice, low impact bike and easy weight workout followed by a steam room session.

I slept like a log and popped up this morning, with cleaning and purging unneeded items on my mind. Must be spring cleaning fever!  I even got a little hoop workout in.

I'm still doing my breathing exercises. I must admit I was a little wheezy and winded this morning.  Possibly allergies since spring is in the air.  But whats a little wheezing when the weather is so dang gorgeous?!

On that note, I must head out to teach piano. (Pun intended!)

Happy Sunny Monday!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita




p.s. Here is today's hooping video. Day 10. I hope to start hooping outside in the park soon!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i