Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 113: Qi Gong Breathing and Anxiety

Today is Day 30 of my return to daily hooping practice!  Time does fly!  And I am really starting to reap the benefits of my renewed discipline.

The daily Qi Gong has been instrumental.  I realize now how important breathing is to health. Heck, it's important to life!

I picked up another book on Qi Gong from the library yesterday. It's called The Qigong Workbook for Anxiety by Master Kam Chuen Lam.

This book was written for me.  At least that is how it feels. I do not, after all know Master Kam Chuen Lam personally.

Although I certainly wish I did!

I woke up early this morning and set out on a mission. To buy a gift certificat for my daughter. Tomorrow is her 29th birthday! Talk about time flying!

I look at my granddaughter, and sometimes I feel like I am looking at my own baby girl. They have the same sweet, round, innocent face. And scathingly brilliant minds and precocious attitudes. I love them both dearly and wouldn't change a hair on their heads.

After I picked up my daughter's gift certificate (at one of my favorite coffee shops in town), I holed up in McDonald's with a cup of coffee (it was free today, since it was my 6th cup purchased. I'm conquering this living on a budget thing!) and I began studying my book.

Both of my arms broke out in giant goosebumps as I read the following:

"We need a perspective that emphasizes mindfulness, not avoidance...Avoidance in our day and age is packaged as feeling better, avoiding internal experience...The anxious usually need energy, but more importantly, they need a willingness to engage their worst fears if they are to have a chance of mastering them. many have limited lives because they want to 'feel better' by not experiencing anxiety. Paradoxically, this attitude keeps them chronically anxious in the long term." (The Qigong Workbook for Anxiety by Master Kam Chuen Lam. p.10)


And then goosebumps on top of goosebumps when I read:
"...the word "anxiety" in the English language comes from a root word meaning "I cannot breathe" or I'm choking". One of the translations for the Chinese word 'qi' is breath." (The Qigong Workbook for Anxiety by Master Kam Chuen Lam. p. 11)

What did I tell you? Written for me!  It is no wonder that have I trouble breathing. I have always struggled with anxiety, at times paralyzing.  It had not occurred to me that my anxiety and asthma were connected.

Heck, everything is connected!

I do know for certain that I am benefitting from the breathing exercises. My head feels clearer, I have more energy and I feel taller.

All very good reasons for continuing my studies!

On that note, I need to get some piano practice in, and hopefully a trip to the gym while am still vertical.

Happy Sunday!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist